Darkening maille

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Paddy

Darkening maille

Post by Paddy »

I have aquired some lovely chain :D However, its so shiny its painful - any ideas how to darken it? I've heard tell of soaking in vinegar, but would like some more information before anything is tried.

Thanks,
Paddy
War's long done. We're all just folk now.

saxon

Post by saxon »

Vinegar CAN work, but spraying it is quicker !! use a car body primer, you'll need to do it a few times and 'jiggle' it around so as to cover the whole rings ............. and it sticks !!!!!!!!!!!! is the stuff you've just got galvanised ?? if not you could WD40 it then blowlamp over it to burn it on, lots of different ways dependant on the finish you have on the new stuff.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

If it's galvanised then get a nice hot fire and bung it in the middle to burn of the coating- sit upwind and make sure noone else is around as the fumes'll be extremely toxic!!!

Try it with a small sample first to be sure.
--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Thomas Hayman

Post by Thomas Hayman »

Aaaargh, don't, for gods sake, burn the zinc off, even sitting upwind, it's really risky!!

Not fun, in the least!!: http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/safety3/index.htm

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

OK- if you don't want to live dangerously then you can take it to the nearest metal coater/dip n' strip place and they should be able to do the job for you in a couple of minutes with a big tank of acid.
--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Thomas Hayman

Post by Thomas Hayman »

Not a case of not wanting to live dangerously, it's a case of not seriously f*****g yourself up.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

Thanks Thomas, really cheered me up :?

From a previous posting, I learned of the risks. So acetylene/propane blow-lamped the lot off out doors & frequently quenched it to get the spall off.

Well ..... I am still here. Next time NBC mask!

Actually, I am quite glad that the zinc is off. I new perceive that there could be a risk of Zn absorbance through the skin. Eg. Sweaty maile + open skin pores in hot weather ---- especially if the maile is old.

How about a sticky Hazards thread? This aspect is bound to crop up again. And I learned yesterday of the lead poisoning risks from cooking in Bronze cauldrons ( a manufacturer's web site ). Lets let people know, rather than saying sorry they are not posting any more.
Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Thomas Hayman

Post by Thomas Hayman »

Not supposed to be a fun read, though :!:

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

Agreed. Thats my point. A very sad case. Knowledge I think we need to share.
Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

Apparently the alternative to burning the zinc off it to put your galvanised mail into a cement moixer with a couple of shovels of dry sand, then tumble it for a while - no idea how you dispose of zinc contaminated sand thereafter though - probably not a good idea to put it back into the kid's sand pit!!!

JC Milwr

Post by JC Milwr »

m300572 wrote:Apparently the alternative to burning the zinc off it to put your galvanised mail into a cement moixer with a couple of shovels of dry sand, then tumble it for a while - no idea how you dispose of zinc contaminated sand thereafter though - probably not a good idea to put it back into the kid's sand pit!!!
Except make sure it's a mixer with the internal fins taken out, or you end up with a heap of clean wire shrapnel... (Supposedly, never done it myself)
Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.