Clothing or costume ??????

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

HHmmmmmmmmmm.
I must have a look in my books. I dont think I have much that illustrates the period in colour.

So what is a Banyan?

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

Guthrie,

All that battlefield training has meant that you are neglecting to keep your googlefinger in shape :roll:

Following link should sort you out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banyan_(clothing)

Sophia :D

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

I happen to be a black belt at googling, but theres times when i cant be bothered, I am afraid. I was hoping that some expert on here would come up wtih an informative essay on it without me having ot do anything...

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

....as long as you have read your statutes and sumptuary laws and can define your status appropriately, Sophia.

Banyans are C18th tailored, double breasted, wide skirted, full length, often quilted, frequently silk brocade dressing gowns for blokes which are practically pyjama-comfy while being ball-gown gorgeous. With a darling little soft, tasselled cocktail-silly hat to go with.......

What with funeral arrangements and red wine, one is impeterbable!

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

Tell me about it darling - I have a funny feeling I am going to be spending an awful lot of this winter in a various libraries so I can work out exactly where my different outfits fit into society and use them accordingly.

Sophia :D

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

...and here's the bummer! The more you find out the less you realise you know.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

Yeah - I suspect most of us spend a lot of time cursing our assorted ancestors for not leaving us more precise records. You know a few patterns and some attached fabric swatches along with a client list would have been real handy.

Sophia :roll: :lol:

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Alice the Huswyf wrote:...and here's the bummer! The more you find out the less you realise you know.
Can we even say that we have decent records for the past 150-200 years? I think we can, there are enough actual clothes and pictures and photographs to say that we have a good idea of what most clothes were like, and when they were worn. But before that....

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

clothes!! definitely! costumes to me make me think of play group, or the notorious 'tudor' or 'victorian' days we all had to suffer at school! when we make 'costumes', we should be thinking of clothing. what do we expect of clothing? comfort, reliability, fashion of course, a long life, quality... etc etc. clothing has nothing substituted - unless we are talking about nylon :P :D
'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image