Helmets

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

The Admiral

Helmets

Post by The Admiral »

This is my 1st season re-enacting (I dress as an archer (WOTR) although I don't actually 'arch'! my OH does though) - recently I have become more involved and taken up the role of water carrying, so I need a helmet. Up to now I have borrowed one, but if I'm going to do this regularly and I would like to I would like a helmet of my own. So I thought I would ask you guys - what type of helmet should I be looking at and where's the best place to get one from. I don't want to pay too much money, but then again I need a reliable one for my own safety. Hope someone out there can help!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

You'll be able to find some pretty nice and reasonably priced ones on eBay, GDFB are a good brand name company to go for. Don't go for the brimmed War Hat/Chapel-de-fer types as I expect they would interfere with bowstrings if you ever took up archery for real. Open faced and visored sallets seem to have been the norm for English troops anyway. You might want to think about a bevor as well as broken teeth and scars don't look as good on a lass as they do on a man.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Ok Admiral.

I ahte to say cheap and protection are often mutually exclusive.

Choice avoid e bay UNLESS you recognise the maker there is a lot of Indian crap on there whcih will not do the job.

I caved one e bay bargain in as a demo to our newbies as to why although cheap it was not a good idea to purchase one in this way.

GDFB are ok Indian yes but bomb proof

Peronal advice is save yoiur money up go to the markets at the end of October and buy /order one.

Or look on here lids often crop up

Nige

Dressed to kill Madregal and St georges are all excellent manufactuers and worth a look.
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

wat the tyler

Post by wat the tyler »

If you are going to be a water carrier and nothing else then you should not come into contact with anyone trying to hit you with a weapon, so your main enemy is stray arrows and the folks you are serving dropping weapons on your head by accident!

In this case most helmets will do the job and if you wear a "secret" covered by a straw hat you will look the part as well as being protected from the sun.

If you wish to fight/shoot then that is a different matter entirely and as it happens I just so have a beautiful White Rose Burgundian Sallet with matching Bevoir for sale :) ... don't expect it to be cheap though.
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

what size please

given my emburgled state I might be interested

pm me with price

thanks
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

I would go for a Secret like this:

which could be worn under a straw hat or under some of the more 'built up' designs of ladies head coverings. on the other had it would also IMHO be OK for arching in providing you were a 'non-combatant' archer, and not likely to be hit with its of metal

50 quid from here:

http://www.gdfb.co.uk
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Sorry Nigel I thought she was water carrying not fighting in the frontline, and most archers only ping arrows off at other archers and not many safety tips stave in steel, even cheap Indian ones. Still you know best.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Yes Marcus having done this for a bit longer than you I do

Your advice although well intentioned was flawed.

Personally I would do away with artificial no/comm roles.If you are on a battlefiled youa re in danger no matter where you are there should be one standard of kit especially protective and within that helmets should be THE item you spend cash on.

Just because somebody is doing a non comm role why should their head protection be any less

Argue that in court if you will

Oh btw add Roger to list his lids are good too

DomT

Post by DomT »

As a aside there were some SHARP arrows found on the field at Joust.

No doubt left over from a display or some impromtu after hours target practise.

Now I'm not saying this happened at Joust but I HAVE seen in the past a scurrier pick up a sharp in amongst a bunch of blunts and accidently return it to the archery block. At yet a third event the same thing must have happened and a sharp got fired. Impacted into the shield of the guy next to me and the archery stopped VERY quickly after that. In my top three 'kin 'ell' moments after 15+ years in the game. (Intrestingly enough the other two occured during one event and indeed one battle.)
Anyway if a sharp does get lobbed anywear on the medieval re-enactment field its likely to be shot at another archer......

Accidents happen and all armour should be fit for purpose.

Incidentaly those old ARP lids that many of us have in our kit bags fit under some straw hats very nicely and have the added advantage over a secret of having a brim to keep arrows out of your face.
"Sir, I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. "

"To hear one voice clearly, we must have freedom to hear them all."

Dom Twist. Black Company, Kernow Levy, Team KGB and freelance idiot.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Fair enough I bow to your greater judgement.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Gyrthofhwicce

Post by Gyrthofhwicce »

Nigel wrote:Yes Marcus having done this for a bit longer than you I do

Your advice although well intentioned was flawed.

Personally I would do away with artificial no/comm roles.If you are on a battlefiled youa re in danger no matter where you are there should be one standard of kit especially protective and within that helmets should be THE item you spend cash on.

Just because somebody is doing a non comm role why should their head protection be any less

Argue that in court if you will

Oh btw add Roger to list his lids are good too

Have to agree with Nigel here, Marcus, what price safety, you never know when a sword can break or an arrow can come down wrong.

A helmet is there for one thing, to protect, and if yuor going to be psending the money, get one that you can use both as a water carrier and if you decide later on, can also be used was an archer.
Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Cheers Chris input valued as always.

Marcus not greater but more born from 30 years of doing this against your erm 7 months.

DomT

Post by DomT »

Indeed.

Marcus is probably right in that its allmost certainly never going to make a difference. However that one time in a million is worth spending a few extra quid in my book.

Accidents happen. I've seen far to many and at least two of them were reduced to 'Wow that could have been really nasty' becuase the the victim had happened to have gone for overkill in the personal protection field. I'd much rather deal with a really irate archer that just had a sharp bounce off their lid than deal with a corpse....

Let me again say how rare these events are.
"Sir, I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. "

"To hear one voice clearly, we must have freedom to hear them all."

Dom Twist. Black Company, Kernow Levy, Team KGB and freelance idiot.