14th Century Female Headgear

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

AnAmericanAbroad

14th Century Female Headgear

Postby AnAmericanAbroad » Thu May 07, 2015 4:03 pm

I'm muddling my way through my first medieval kit (lower class, young woman, early 14th century [Scottish Wars of Independence]), and am having an issue figuring out just what I ought to be putting on my head! Between lots of advice from members in the group heavy reliance on the Medieval Tailor's Assistant, and some of my own research, I seem to have sorted out the cotte and such, but am receiving wide-ranging and conflicting advice on head coverings. Can anyone direct me towards some sort of documentation indicating whether I'm just looking at a kerchief (and tied how?) or if a wimple is going to be more period appropriate? Thanks!

I can't believe I just made my first post!

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: 14th Century Female Headgear

Postby Brother Ranulf » Thu May 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Images from manuscripts are always a good starting point - they were painted by people at the time who recorded exactly what they saw (with the occasional whimsy thrown in just for fun). The Luttrell Psalter is one example, dating to the period 1320 - 1340 and it includes various social classes; anyone involved in manual labour is going to belong to the lower class, such as these women helping with the harvest:

luttrell 1.jpg

A film has been produced which recreates the clothing and activities shown in the psalter, including these two young ladies:

jug-head-and-bucket-head.jpg

View the very atmospheric film here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0AnUM1tt54

The original manuscript is available in full here:

http://www.bl.uk/turning-the-pages/?id= ... &type=book

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri May 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Welcome wanderer. :)

While generally Brother R's advice to look at the manuscripts is spot on, women's headwear can be tricky to interpret. Sarah Thursfield has commented on the struggles that she's had.

As you're young, a simple head cloth may be sufficient, though you'll probably want a barbette or wimble to pin it to, to help keep I on. You can see this in Brother R's picture. The MTA should have details on both of those.

I'm told that the thing to avoid is the 'turban' effect, though not being a woman, I didn't listen that closely to the explanation why.

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Wed May 13, 2015 9:14 am

The trick is a fillet - pm me for details

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

AnAmericanAbroad

Postby AnAmericanAbroad » Sun May 17, 2015 1:54 pm