Undyed/white wool fabric suppliers?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

Undyed/white wool fabric suppliers?

Postby sally » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:29 pm

I've got a couple of Landsknecht hats to do in unusual colour combinations and its looking like the sanest way to proceed is for me to dye the fabric to suit.

Ideally, I like a melton type fabric for these, something dense that doesn't easily fray when cut, but I'm willing to broaden my horizons if anyone can point me to a supplier of quality (but not need-a-second-mortgage ideally- so I know Hainsworth do fab melton fabric, but they are a bit pricey for this particular project), firm undyed or white pure wool fabric.

Any suggestions?

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Undyed/white wool fabric suppliers?

Postby John Waller » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:47 pm

John Waller wrote:Kochan and Phillips http://www.historicaltextiles.com

Interesting. Which cloth of theirs do you recommend for the density and not fraying when cut qualities?, I couldn't immediately see a cloth that reads like a lighter melton, but I'm not familiar with all the weaves they do. They are still up at the top end of the price range, (I may just have to put my prices up a fair bit at this rate though) but it would be good to explore them regardless

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:15 pm

sally wrote:
John Waller wrote:Kochan and Phillips http://www.historicaltextiles.com

Interesting. Which cloth of theirs do you recommend for the density and not fraying when cut qualities?, I couldn't immediately see a cloth that reads like a lighter melton, but I'm not familiar with all the weaves they do. They are still up at the top end of the price range, (I may just have to put my prices up a fair bit at this rate though) but it would be good to explore them regardless

Best ask Sean, he usually responds quickly. The milled serge is nice stuff and might be what you are looking for. If you speak to him ask him how my order is coming along!

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Return to “Costumes”