Drop Spindles

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

ladydetemps

Drop Spindles

Postby ladydetemps » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:49 pm

I wonder if you can advise me where to start. There seems to be a plethera of options and types.
I have vague recollection of a school trip (dressed as tudors) where we got to have a go with one. But its all pretty vague.
Do certain types suit certain eras?

Midland Spinner

Re: Drop Spindles

Postby Midland Spinner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:31 pm

We have a variety of drop spindles: from reproductions cast off lead whorls, to ones made from potsherds, slate or stone, plus wood.

Probably best if you call into the tent/stall and have a chat next time we are at an event. (We'll be at Rufford at the end of the month if that helps)
Would be happy to give you a brief overview plus a lesson on how to begin spinning - free with every purchase.
Look forward to seeing you.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 am

Ooh, we'll be at Rufford too, can I come and chat to you about learning to spin? (I'll be trading in a small white tent )

K

mally ley

Postby mally ley » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:22 pm

In answer to one of your original questions - yes. The style of the whorl (not the stick!) is period specific. Check what is correct for your period before you buy. (size as well as material - wood, clay, glass, pewter ...)
The method of spinning, whatever shape the whorl, is the same; but some are easier to learn on because they spin for longer, giving you more time, before you need to spin them again. A little less frantic for a learner!

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:05 pm

I decided to go for a beginner kit on etsy.
2nd attempt at spinning
Just to have a go...I know. I'm impatient. ;)

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Fri May 02, 2014 11:26 am

Had a go at making my own too. Also being donated some free fleece.

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:42 am

To learn with 2 old CDs or DVDs (you need 2 for the weight) held on a piece of dowel with tape will work fine. Or, if you want to be authentic, an apple will work but is a waste of good fruit

Learning to spin with a drop spindle takes a little perseverance but it does just click, like riding a bicycle

Friend insists the correct wood is from the spindle tree but I think anything works so long as it's straight. Spinning with an eccentrically spinning whorl is really tricky

Return to “Costumes”