Ageing leather

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Phoenix Rising

Ageing leather

Postby Phoenix Rising » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:03 pm

I've got a couple of items of kit that are new, and made of leather. However, because they are new, they don't have that 'lived in' look that I'd like to achieve as my portrayals are of an archer of the Hundred Years War and a Border Reiver, so I would imagine that items would certainly have had that look, given the rigours of the eras I'm enacting.

Does anyone know if there Is there any way to 'age' leather items, to give such a worn and used look about them?

Biro
Post Centurion

Re: Ageing leather

Postby Biro » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Surely they had new stuff back then?

It'll age by itself all to soon. We all do.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:15 am

Hang them on a washing line between events. Works for pretty much all kit but I do agree withe previous comment.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:35 am

Dig a hole, throw them in the hole, dig them up next season. But like hanging them outside prepare for them to go rock hard or mouldy. Much like most re-enactors.

sarge

Postby sarge » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:39 am

I know that some of the shooting bag makers in the U.S.A and Canada use the spray foam oven cleaner treatment on leather to age it. I have tried this and its a good way to "antique" it, but be very careful with it. You just spray it on and then wipe off almost straight away as the cleaner literally sucks the oils out of the leather. It gives you a dry cracked finish akin to old leather that hasn't been looked after! If you fancy having a go at it, I'd experiment with some scraps of leather first, to gauge the finish etc.

Other than that, just use the leather items as much as poss', to put the wear and tear into them. Putting fake patina into items is an artform all of its own, and you can find websites and forums devoted to it, often aimed at the film industry.

Likewise, I agree with the above statement that people in history did have nice new shiny stuff as well. :)

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestions folks, think I might go with the idea of letting it all age naturally (a bit like myself). Out of curiosity I might have a go with the oven cleaner idea on some leather scraps I've got knocking about, but on the whole I think the above idea is the best.

It'll all probably wear better than me, that's for sure! :)

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:13 pm

When i did LH then after one season of serious use ALL of my stuff looked like archeological remains! Work hard, play hard...

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “Costumes”