Spurs - How to wear them?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Phoenix Rising

Spurs - How to wear them?

Postby Phoenix Rising » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Okay, this might seem a bit of a daft question, but I've managed to acquire a pair of Get Dressed for Battle spurs (says on the website that they're Norman ones). The metal work curves upwards, presumably to cup the heel, with the short shank and prickers coming out from the centre.

Got this bit, I think, no problem.

However the metal part is attached to a single band of leather which then buckles to one side and if I put it as tight as I can the metal part still no longer cups the heel but comes out from it a fair way, meaning the spur wobbles about. Having not worn spurs before I'm not sure whether the leather on the strap could do with being altered, or is it the case that the metal curve should stay on more or less by hugging my heel.

All suggestions would be helpful... :)

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Re: Spurs - How to wear them?

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:20 pm

There should be 2 bits of leather on a spur. One should go under the instep and be fixed, the other buckles over the top of the foot to hold it on. That's why most spurs have a double loop on each side.

The strap under the foot stops it riding up the ankle, while the one over the front stops it falling off.

Be careful when you walk in them, I keep catching my other foot as I turn and gouging lumps out of the shoe.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:16 pm

Depending how pointy they are, I would be wary of combat in them too. I fell backwards over a casualty once while wearing some. When you fall like that, you roll back, legs go up in the air, then fall back down heel first. In this case, spike first toward the casualties face.
Luckily he was aware enough to 'block' my legs with an arm.

Mine were GDFB, and really sharp, but even though I'd ground them down, the spike parts were still long enough to have caused a serious, possibly fatal injury if one had come down in the eye.

Needless to say, I haven't fought in them since.

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:12 pm

My thanks to both of you for the info - think I've just about got the hang of them now. Having never worn them I was a bit perplexed by the strapping arrangements, but with your explanations and the picture it now makes a lot more sense!

The walking around bit I'll be wary of - as you pointed out Colin, it wouldn't take much to damage to the other boot with them, but the combat side I think I'll take them off for - as Biro says, there is the danger of stumbling over some poor unfortunate on the ground and doing them some serious damage. I know that blood and gore was a part of the medieval battlefield but I think with today's HS policies folks might take a very different view, not to mention the thought of putting holes in the poor person on the floor! :cry:

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated :D

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:28 pm

And when you sit down try to not cross your legs.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Hmm,it was kneeling down to do something to the wheel on the horsebox, then sitting back on my haunches to reach for the wheel brace which did for me.
Only thirty years ago, and I still remember why it was stupid.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Lucy, the word 'ouch' doesn't quite cover that one! :roll:

Alexander

Postby Alexander » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:54 am

Best thing would be to put them on just before mounting and take them off as soon as you dismount.

Sam Blincoe

Postby Sam Blincoe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:06 pm

Hello all.

Can I just ask about the Quality of the spurs I am interested in a pair and just wondered what you thought of them

Thanks
Sam

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Which pair? Where from?

Colin

Colin

Sam Blincoe

Postby Sam Blincoe » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:57 pm

Hello
Sorry I meant the gdfb spurs I am interested in churburg 14th century spurs but don't want to break the bank.

Sam

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

GDFB tend to produce items that are robust, vaguely the right shape and possibly confortable to wear. If you're looking for something that doesn't look too far from the truth, they'll do, but you may not want to wear them for long. If you want something that will stand up to closer scrutiny, I'd look to pay a bit more.

Colin

Colin

Sam Blincoe

Postby Sam Blincoe » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Thank you that's some great advice seen the chap in the us who makes them and will be placing an order with him soon

Sam

Return to “Costumes”