where to start :0

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

wizbit

where to start :0

Postby wizbit » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 am

I have this weekend started following the mister to his reenactments and had such a lovely weekend have started to try and get some of my own soft kit.. i have boots and a cloak but am completely stumped for a dress. Would people recommend buying one or attempting to hand make one.. if the latter where do i start for ideas and templates etx

Tia x

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Re: where to start :0

Postby lucy the tudor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 am

Great to have you on board, what period are you both playing in, and we'll be better able to help?

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

wizbit

Postby wizbit » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:00 pm

I believe its 13th c onwards.. i would be looking to be in the lower end of society of the time so i know its fairly basic dress wise..

wizbit

Postby wizbit » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:47 pm

More detail.. hubby is with the galloglass so im looking for irish womens dress around the same period ..1250 to 1600 x

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:19 pm

I'd talk to the other women in the group and look at their costumes and their research ideas.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:53 pm

Have a look at "Medieval tailors assistant." Should give you an idea of clothing for different time periods and what is involved in constructing it.

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:50 pm

The MTA does ENGLISH clothing. Irish may well be quite different.

However at that point, the clothes are likley to be quite loose fitting and easy to make, so if you can face the sewing, you can save yourself a lot of money by making your own.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

40/- freeholder

Postby 40/- freeholder » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:30 am

The Moy gown might be appropriate for the country and time period. There is a commercial pattern available, from an American firm but there are outlets over here. I'm sure Moy Gown in google will find it. It's not necessarily the easiest pattern for a novice.
NESAT X (google again) includes a schematic pattern for a much simpler gown of a style c. 1250AD. I don't have the full reference to hand. To me, the beauty of this design is that it shows how the medieval seamstress would have taken measurements to get a personal fit, rather than the more complicated body blocks in MTA, which I find very off-putting.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Colin Middleton wrote:The MTA does ENGLISH clothing. Irish may well be quite different.

Surely you mean pan-European fashions?

There are patterns in MTA for shirts and mantles (read leine, brat...) and long sleeved gowns, which I imagine will be a good start for what she is looking at.

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 pm

zauberdachs wrote:Surely you mean pan-European fashions?

No, the MTA focus' on English fashion in the Middle Ages. Many of these garments may be common across Europe, but others aren't (for example, the MTA doesn't cover Italian tie-on sleeves or the various continental head-dresses that were in use).

zauberdachs wrote:There are patterns in MTA for shirts and mantles (read leine, brat...) and long sleeved gowns, which I imagine will be a good start for what she is looking at.

Sorry, I probably wasn't very clear on this. SOME of the garments may be identical, but I'm not sure which are right and wrong as I know almost nothing about historic Irish dress. Given that early 13thC costume seems to be fairly standard throughout Europe, that may be viable as a direct copy (but check because I don't know), but I suspect that you'll see more divergenance as you go through the 14th & 15th Centuries. Though I don't know how late Wizbit's group goes.

Best wishes anf good luck to Wizbit.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:54 pm

English fashion in terms of chronology but not in terms of the garments, these are common garments.

Grania

Postby Grania » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Going to be really cheeky and try and glean here! I've been trying to research Gaelic Ireland, into the 16th Century, for years, without a huge amount of success - can anyone give me any tips at the same time as this?

:$ Apologies, couldn't resist!

"...I hear your voice calling, through the silence of time..."

(Shaun Davey "Hear Me")

Return to “Costumes”