Attaching / Wearing an Arrow Bag

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Phoenix Rising

Attaching / Wearing an Arrow Bag

Postby Phoenix Rising » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 pm

A while ago I made an arrow bag (which is basically a canvas tube with enough length to fold down over the top of the arrows and to form a drawstring) I attached a simple length of canvas to it to serve as a shoulder strap, but I was wondering how such a bag might be worn by an archer for use.

Would it simply have had ties that went around the waist, or might it have incorporated a hook to hook onto a belt?

Alan E

Re: Attaching / Wearing an Arrow Bag

Postby Alan E » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 am

Evidence for archers using arrow bags at all is ... scarce :P . See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28637&p=332312&hilit=arrow+bag#p332312 for a discussion (which seems to have concluded with a statement that evidence isn't all it's cracked up to be). If you want to speculate how they might have attached one to themselves (with little evidence that they did), then that can only be speculation I'm afraid.

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Cheers Alan - much as I thought but always pays to ask! :)

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:54 am

I made a canvas arrow bag with a leather insert. I've tried all sorts of ways of carrying it and using it, franly it's nothing but a pain. Maybe they thought the same.

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:41 pm

I've found that half a dozen arrows tucked in the belt is convenient and gets in the way less than any bag or quiver; up to a dozen(ish) can be carried this way (YMMV). More than that (a whole sheaf? more still?) I think you'd want to be carried by someone/something else (servant/mule/horse/cart). Just IMO but that would seem (IMO) to be what is illustrated. Want more ready to shoot whilst stood still (i.e. not travelling but 'in formation') then stick them in the ground in front of you (which works fine for sharps ... :devil: ).

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:07 am

[quote="Alan E"]Evidence for archers using arrow bags at all is ... scarce :P . See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28637&p=332312&hilit=arrow+bag#p332312 for a discussion (which seems to have concluded with a statement that evidence isn't all it's cracked up to be). If you want to speculate how they might have attached one to themselves (with little evidence that they did), then that can only be speculation I'm afraid.[/quote]

the above probby best sums it up....

for battlefield re-enactment i find what works for [i]me[/i] is such a bag tied around the waist, mine is counter balanced so the shafts dont tip out when moving/ running / drawing .. >>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/reenact ... 378419217/

Return to “Costumes”