Making my own kit - need some guidance

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

SirUlf

Making my own kit - need some guidance

Postby SirUlf » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Right, I'm going to try to make my own kit, not only to hopefully save some money, but also to make it fit, and for the challenge. I like making things. The garments I want to make are a pair of joined hose, a pourpoint and finally a padded jack, with maybe a cote as well. I have the Thursfield book on order at the library but I am in dire need of some help.

I know how to stitch and how to work a sewing maching, but there are things I do not know, starting with materials. I asked in a thread below about wool for hose but it seems to have gone nowhere, so I'll ask again: where is a good, reliable, not too expensive (this is my first go, if I c*ck it up I don't want to waste too much money) source of wool and linen? I'd ideally like just one supplier so if there's anyone here who supplies fabrics and would be willing to provide feedback and guidance I'd be quite happy to go with that.

So, anyone...?

nathan

Re: Making my own kit - need some guidance

Postby nathan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 pm

Bernie the bolt is probably your best bet - contact details here http://www.calltoarms.com/bolt/

http://www.conroidevey.co.uk
Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 am

Have a wander at Battle ina couple of weeks theres bound to be a couple there

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Catherine of Gwent

Postby Catherine of Gwent » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:17 am

When choosing the wool for your hose, make sure that it is a tightly woven one. If it is a slightly looser weave then you may find that the seams that are put under the most stress (around the bum) will pull the weave apart, and you will have to make another pair as they will be difficult to repair.

If you are unsure then check whether the wool feels more like felt (closely woven) and perhaps quite thick, rather than a lighter feel to it. Difficult to explain, but once you get close to the materials you will (hopefully) see what I mean.

Hope that this helps a little bit.

Ann

The Freemen of Gwent
www.freemenofgwent.org.uk

SirUlf

Postby SirUlf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for all the info. Bernie The Bolt's just got a ringing endorsement from one of the big names so will check them out.

Return to “Costumes”