Leather and shoes

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Dathi

Leather and shoes

Post by Dathi »

I have a fine pair of shoes or two from that Doyen of shoe making Sarah Juniper and have suddenly found myself wondering what the best product is for protecting said shoes from the recent slightly damp conditions. Any Ideas ?

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: Leather and shoes

Post by Mark Griffin »

oils, waxes and fats mate. Dubbin, hoof oil, beeswax etc. Experiment. Even veg oil will do if you have nothing else. If you have lots of cash to splash go to a horsey supplier and get the best Belvoir tack dressings.

used to be that I'd oil at the end and start of the season, now its weekly!
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

And if they are Junipers, worth spending the money to keep them in tip top condition. You don't buy a lexus and keep it in a gravel pit.
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Mark Griffin wrote:used to be that I'd oil at the end and start of the season, now its weekly!
I know I'm probably "teaching my Grandma to suck eggs", but be careful of 'over oiling' your shoes. I've known leather use it's integrity if you put too much oil in it. I think that may have contributed to the stitching pulling out in my medieval shoes.

Best wishes
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

Olive oil won't rot the stitching, but other oils - neatsfoot (is that the right name? Brainfartery day today ) etc will rot linen stitching.
Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

but other oils - neatsfoot (is that the right name? Brainfartery day today ) etc will rot linen stitching.
thats been discussed elsewhere and is generally considered a re-enactor myth. Linen thread has been used for thousands of years in leather goods and where required has always been greased, waxed, oiled etc to little ill effect. What does for it is dampness and wear and tear. The fibres stretch and break eventually. I've neatsfooted my shoes, boots (over 50 pairs and rising) and bags etc for nearly 3 decades and the stitching is fine.

I've been asked what a 'Neat' is and how many of them does it take to make a litre of oil.

here is the wiki opening info:
Neatsfoot oil is a yellow oil rendered and purified from the shin bones and feet (but not the hooves) of cattle. "Neat" in the oil's name comes from an old name for cattle. Neatsfoot oil is used as a conditioning, softening and preservative agent for leather. In the 18th century, it was also used medicinally as a topical application for dry scaly skin conditions.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

I was always told, at Pony club, to buy the Neatsfoot oil, not the Neatsfoot Compound, which comes in a similar tin, because the compound has something else in it which is harsher on the stitching.
I can't vouch for whether this is true or not, because I am a very obedient kind of person, so never bought the Compound.
lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, *rse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

"prime' or 'Compound' neatsfoot contains artificial elements, petrochemicals so that might have something to do with it. But there again, so do various tack cleaning products, saddle soap etc.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

I am too mean to risk any of my leather goods by trying it to see if it does, Ko cao lin , saddle soap, Neatsfoot oil, and dubbin, a box with that lot in, and you're pretty much sorted.
All other eventualities in life are helped by WD40 and Duck tape.
lucythetudor@gmail.com

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

Hot Glue! never leave home without it. In fact, why not do all household repairs with it as well.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

We could add that one, and actually, if we're sorting the world out, Sudocrem.
lucythetudor@gmail.com

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

Actually I'm now a firm evangelist for all things gorilla. Used it in the US and fell to my knees and praised the great flying spaghetti monster when it finally appeared here. Gorilla Glue is all a man ever needs, the tape is invaluable and a few of their other products i have yet to try. But I bet are just fab.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

It does, ahem, overflow a little enthusiastically if over applied to a cavity...
Gorilla glue, that is, but with suitable abrasives it can be dealt with.
:eh:
lucythetudor@gmail.com

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Alice the Huswyf wrote:Olive oil won't rot the stitching, but other oils - neatsfoot (is that the right name? Brainfartery day today ) etc will rot linen stitching.
At risk of challenging the great Mr. Griffin, 'neatsfoot oil' (which is in-fact a synthetic replacement) will 'rot' the linnen stiches, which don't like the mineral content. PURE Neatsfoot oil (which is the stuff that Mark has described) however will not rot the stitches as it is a natural oil made from animal parts (I was told sheep, but I'm not going to quibble on grass muching species). Basically, if you want it to be good for the linnen thread, make sure that it is described as PURE.

I have heard of certain oils 'washing' the beeswax out of the thread, allowing the water to get in and rot it more easily. I can't remember which ones though. Either way, if you mix the oil with beeswax, you'll avoid that (which is probably why that is recomended by the shoe-makers that I've spoken to).

Best wishes

Colin
Colin

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

when i say neatsfoot I mean the pure decent stuff. When i say Prime/compound/artificial I mean what he says. Go for pure. Choose life, choose neatsfoot.

But its a light rubbing only, don't soak anything in it.

Ne'erdowell
Post Knight

Post by Ne'erdowell »

Ballistol (discussed on this forum before) can also be used on leather. Like dubbin, it will make light coloured leather darker, though.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Mark Griffin wrote:when i say neatsfoot I mean the pure decent stuff. When i say Prime/compound/artificial I mean what he says. Go for pure. Choose life, choose neatsfoot.
Didn't doubt you for a minute sir! I just know too many people who've confused the two.
Colin