Georgian Female Domestic Servant

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Big Gay Al

Georgian Female Domestic Servant

Post by Big Gay Al »

Hi all,

I'm looking for contemporary images and/or patterns to make a set of kit for the above. Looking at 1750ish.

Any ideas?
Cheer the Beer. All Hail the Ale! Entwine with the wine....and..err.....Don't curse the Bratwurst??

Grania

Re: Georgian Female Domestic Servant

Post by Grania »

Can you give us any idea of the level of servant, so to speak?

For example, if you're looking at ladies maids or similar, they could be very well dressed indeed - hand-me-downs from the mistress is a perk of the job for us!
"...I hear your voice calling, through the silence of time..."

(Shaun Davey "Hear Me")

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Hmm. The major difference between the upper servants and the others is the fabric and possibly a rather old-fashioned silhouette. Cheaper fabrics and less fullness for those lower down in the hierarchy, more patched and ragged items and definitely no posh lace or silk. Linen and wool fabric only as cheap cotton would only come in 60 years later.

Clothes could also be second-hand so would not fit properly and be let out, and have worn-out places at elbows, knees and neck. Of course clothes and accessories would be dirty such as greasy marks on the hat where it was fingered, and probably a bit of dirt under the fingernails unless the person worked in the laundry or dairy.

Sounds like a fun project. What are you using the outfit for?

Big Gay Al

Post by Big Gay Al »

Its for some Live Interpretation work one of my volunteers is undertaking on the Estate.
Can you push me towards any images or texts, guys, please?
Cheer the Beer. All Hail the Ale! Entwine with the wine....and..err.....Don't curse the Bratwurst??

Shadow7cat

Post by Shadow7cat »

Costume of Household Servants: From the Middle Ages to 1900 (Hardcover) by Phillis Emily Cunnington, Catherine Lucas Publisher: Barnes & Noble Imports (June 1974) ISBN : 0064913422

Probably slightly dated, but a classic work.

S.

Big Gay Al

Post by Big Gay Al »

Shadow7cat wrote:Costume of Household Servants: From the Middle Ages to 1900 (Hardcover) by Phillis Emily Cunnington, Catherine Lucas Publisher: Barnes & Noble Imports (June 1974) ISBN : 0064913422

Probably slightly dated, but a classic work.

S.
Top stuff!

Thanks to all!

Grymm
Post Centurion

Post by Grymm »

Fitting and Proper ISBN-13: 978-1880655085
Costume Close Up ISBN-13: 978-0896762268

Both have patterns taken from originals which can be scaled up.
As they's 'Merican they do lean towards the later 18thC.
Fitting and Proper is like rockin' hourse poo so might be worth contacting your library service failing that pm me and we'll sort summat out.

Leather stays/bodies are good for lower end servants, here's a handy how to.
http://threadheaded.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... orial.html
Last edited by Grymm on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Shadow7cat

Post by Shadow7cat »

Cut of Women's Clothes - Norah Waugh
Patterns of Fashion 1660-1860 Janet Arnold

Patterns from original garments, suitable for scaling up, plus some social history. These are British and easily available.

I was told that the use of leather stays was not general practice for servants - the pair in ?Colchester are believed to have come possibly from a workhouse (Personal conversation with Valerie Mansfield.)

S.

Grymm
Post Centurion

Post by Grymm »

'Pends on the household, and where the maids came to them from. There's that mid 18thC trial case where the woman beat her servants almost to death, they mentioned the servants leather stays binding to the wounds.

Elizabeth Brownrigg that's her, she did take girls from the Foundling Hospital so the leathers bodies/stays are prob'ly 'charity issue' but also it is a quick fix for stays as they can take a while to fit and make properly =o)

From a description of events;
There she was helped out of her leather bodies that stuck so tightly to fresh wounds that she shrieked as it was removed.

From a runaway add
"Ran away . . . an English servant girl . . . had on and took with her . . . a pair of leather stays"
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.