Softening a gambeson

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

seesinsilhouette

Softening a gambeson

Postby seesinsilhouette » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:01 pm

Any suggestions on how to soften up a new gambeson ( aside from wearing it constantly!). Been trying to find articles on softening canvas and thick linen but most techniques involve tumble dryers and I don't know if it would help the dryer or the gambeson if I tried that! I've wet it and I'm hoping that'll loosen up some of the fibres a little but any advice is most welcome!

Cheers :)

wulfenganck

Re: Softening a gambeson

Postby wulfenganck » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:30 am

But doesn't softening contradicts the purpose of a gambeson? The idea is to absorb the th impact of a strike etc. From all the sources I read, this seemed to achieved by the use ofe layers of fabric or filling/stuffing whatever. BUt it always resulted in something strongly resistent, nothing alike a foam'ish structure.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:40 am

you got it wear it LOTS

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:31 am

Loosely piling it on the floor and trampling it in socked feet, re-piling and trampling some more in between wearing it to do bendy-lifty jobs. Rather like treading washing out in the bath - but dry - and in front of the TV of an evening). Wear clean-soled slippers if it has buckles and tape the buckle tangs closed to the buckle bar so it doesn't pierce your feet or the cloth.

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

seesinsilhouette

Postby seesinsilhouette » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks for the replys.

@ wulfenganck: it's a very densly layered item and Definately not foamy or spongy. It's more to speed up the process of softening the resistance of the" bend points" eg elbows and shoulders etc, so it doesnt have the appearence of bent cardboard! It was made to measure so fits well and is nicely waisted. I bought it for the events I didn't want to spend in full harness and in all honesty won't see that many outings in comparison to my arming doublet, hence wanting to speed up the " wearing in" process a little

@ Alice: thanks, I will try that method. It's point tied so no fear of foot puncture! ;)

narvek

Postby narvek » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Hammer it where you need it soft.

Eurototty reporting in for duty!

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Alice the Huswyf wrote:Loosely piling it on the floor and trampling it in socked feet, re-piling and trampling some more in between wearing it to do bendy-lifty jobs. Rather like treading washing out in the bath - but dry - and in front of the TV of an evening). Wear clean-soled slippers if it has buckles and tape the buckle tangs closed to the buckle bar so it doesn't pierce your feet or the cloth.

give it to the kids to play with?

Return to “Costumes”