I just bought this

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Gothic-Haven

I just bought this

Post by Gothic-Haven »

I have been looking for something in linen that wasn't too expensive for ages.. its a lighter blue than in the picture and they have various linen colours.. its machine stitched but hand finished.
Attachments
It is in the style Herjolfsnes G39 from the 14th century
It is in the style Herjolfsnes G39 from the 14th century
"its the bubbles.. they get lodged in me chest"
"mmm yes there's room for a few lodgers in there!"
www.gothichaven.com/gothic-clothing

Drachelis

Post by Drachelis »

i have seen the site before its USA isn't it? - it is lovely - very simple. I am also making kirtles like this with lacing or with buttons.

What are they charging for one like this now?

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

Gothic-Haven

Post by Gothic-Haven »

I got this one on E-bay and paid £95 including postage its a plus size one too , and I have noticed she has just listed another one in copper coloured linen but not sure about that... might be ok for "down the beer tent" Although we don't do living history we are traders but try to be as authentic as we can be :-)

Drachelis

Post by Drachelis »

Yep, that about the price that I charge depending on buttons and finishings.

The kirtle would be worn under another gown ( sideless surcoat or such or another heavier weight kirtle or a houppelande depending on century) but loads of ladies in re-enactment do just wear a kirlte.

They do seem to be acceptable colours for the dresses

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

Gothic-Haven

Post by Gothic-Haven »

I have 2 woolen kirtles and then a cotton skirt ,chemise and leather bodice which is what I wear as the season warms up.. I get so hot in wool though and my partner is also slightly alergic to wool so generally starts the season with antihistamines till he aclimatises :) Do you have a website? and do you charge extra for plus sizes? I know some sites do...

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Never understood that well I do

Some people whoi charge extra for plus and small sizes

Number sof folks ask this as the first question to Debs and seem surprised when she says no
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Gothic-Haven

Post by Gothic-Haven »

Nigel wrote:Never understood that well I do

Some people whoi charge extra for plus and small sizes

Number sof folks ask this as the first question to Debs and seem surprised when she says no

I know Debs would make one for me in a heartbeat but I realise she is soooo busy... I had spent most of yesterday afternoon trawling the net for a costumier who didnt charge £250 for a linen kirtle.. didnt find many... running a gothic clothing business that is specifically aimed at plus sizes ( being one meself) I am always annoyed when I see sites that charge extra...

Drachelis

Post by Drachelis »

No, I don't charge extra for plus sizes - again being one myself.

Yes, I do have a web site http://www.shadowlightdesigns.co.uk
but no kirtles shown on it as yet (hubby has devil of a job finding time to photo and load them up).

If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you a price guide for various garments, and, if you want to order from me, I can e-mail you an orderform and measurement chart. Having said that my orderbook is full up to the end of April.
If you need testimonials I can put you in touch with various folk who have placed repeat orders with me.

Just n case you haven't twigged who I am - I am the large lady who had her stall almost opposite you a some of the events last year - definitely Rougham and the Oyster fair.

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

Gothic-Haven

it arrived

Post by Gothic-Haven »

and low and behold it fits!.. next thing now is head wear... any advice?

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

£250 for a linen kirtle

:shock:

debs
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Gothic-Haven

Post by Gothic-Haven »

Tuppence wrote:
£250 for a linen kirtle

:shock:

debs

I have seen them for that price... in bigger sizes anyways.. not necessarily at events though.. but thats when I dont have ready cash.. not everyone takes cards and I dont have a cheque book anymore :cry:

Karen Larsdatter

Re: it arrived

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

Gothic-Haven wrote:and low and behold it fits!.. next thing now is head wear... any advice?

For 14th century? You could go with a veil, or a hood ... though there are various combinations of filet, barbette, wimple, veil, etc. depending on what sort of look you're going for.

Some additional links on medieval women's headwear at http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/i ... &catid=278 -- I'd recommend checking out the headwear section in The Medieval Tailor's Assistant too. :)

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

GH
Gwen at Historic Enterprises is a very accomodating lady she will be glad that you are happy with the outfit.

She used to post on the old style forum but for some reason can't on this one just yet but when she does she will no doubt contribute to this section.

Karen knows her as well.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

I mean, I could understand a laced front one with a ton of eyelets done by hand costing that, if the person making it isn't a quick hand stitcher, but for buttons???? :shock:

medieval tailor's asst is a good place to start, also you could check out a short history of costume and armour, or I'm sure there'll be something in the relevant bit of the costumer's manifesto (http://www.costumes.org).

you need to look at things like cauls and veils and things. I'd avoid hoods, as they tended to be more foul weather-ish (fro english women anyway), and it's likely that you'd have to have something else under them anyway. (and even in our summers it'd be a pain always having a hood on IMO.)

that said, of course, a veil can be a huge pain if you're trying to work, and if I didn't have to wear one for LH it'd probably end up chucked in the back of the tent like it did when I traded in kit at kirby.

but there are plenty arrangements whereby you can cover your head, and not have the covering getting in the way.

Debbie

ps - as mentioned above, strictly speaking you'd have another dress over the top, and there will always be the nit pickers who come and point that out to you, but (and I'm lining myself up for a bashing from alice here :wink: ), many, many re-enactors don't bother, and as I said, you really need to be comfy and able to move when trading.
(I do anyway, despite the idiotc wearing of victorian corsetry at the market...)
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy

Karen Larsdatter

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

Tuppence wrote:you need to look at things like cauls and veils and things. I'd avoid hoods, as they tended to be more foul weather-ish (fro english women anyway), and it's likely that you'd have to have something else under them anyway. (and even in our summers it'd be a pain always having a hood on IMO.)

Here are two buttoned hoods from London (though there's evidence, at least in terms of illustrations, that the button-front style was worn by men as well as by women):
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-ca ... dhd1a.html
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-ca ... dhd1b.html

There's examples of women wearing hoods even if it's not foul weather -- heck, there's several illustrations of women wearing hoods indoors. (There's even an illustration of young women trying to catch butterflies, using hoods instead of butterfly-nets -- it's in Bodley 264.) I don't know whether Englishwomen in particular avoided wearing them in bad weather; the only illustrations I've got specifically of 14th century Englishwomen wearing hoods are the workers in the Luttrell Psalter, like this illo. :)

Tuppence wrote:that said, of course, a veil can be a huge pain if you're trying to work, and if I didn't have to wear one for LH it'd probably end up chucked in the back of the tent like it did when I traded in kit at kirby.

Oh, definitely! :D I usually do some form of wrapped headdress if I am going to be doing a lot of physical labor at an event -- either the all-around-the-face-and-head style from the first half of the 14th century, or a turban-like wrap (or headrail). Has the dual benefit of keeping Bad Hair Day hair under control -- and keeping bugs and twigs OUT of your hair. (Eesh -- not pleasant.) :shock:

Tuppence wrote:as mentioned above, strictly speaking you'd have another dress over the top, and there will always be the nit pickers who come and point that out to you, but (and I'm lining myself up for a bashing from alice here :wink: ), many, many re-enactors don't bother, and as I said, you really need to be comfy and able to move when trading.

I don't think it's a problem; isn't there sufficient evidence for women wearing a buttoned cote without anything over them? (Wouldn't it be better, if you were to wear this as an under-a-gown layer, to make the cote as a laced kirtle instead, so you didn't look like you had bumpity bits down the front of your sternum?) :)

Gothic-Haven

Post by Gothic-Haven »

Thanks for all the advise there's alot to mull over... As I am not a re-enactor ( a mere Trader) we do try to be as authentic in our dress and tentage as possible.. I wore only a headdress last year over my wig.. I have really short gothly-dyed black hair which doesn't really look the part.. I will give it all some thought .. thanks peeps

Lady Cecily

Post by Lady Cecily »

The Purple Peril may reply but I know she prefers a full wimple and kerchief arrangement because it hides all the hair and the ears so she can leave her piercings in and it dosen't matter what colour her hair is that week. :D

Like this

http://www.astoft.co.uk/Dscn2592-u1-540-u0.4-q60.jpg

I am sure other people will have more pictures they can get hold of easily. Much cooler than a wig I would think.
Caroline

Gothic-Haven

Post by Gothic-Haven »

Lady Cecily wrote:The Purple Peril may reply but I know she prefers a full wimple and kerchief arrangement because it hides all the hair and the ears so she can leave her piercings in and it dosen't matter what colour her hair is that week. :D

Like this

http://www.astoft.co.uk/Dscn2592-u1-540-u0.4-q60.jpg

I am sure other people will have more pictures they can get hold of easily. Much cooler than a wig I would think.

well I guess it would hide the double chins :wink: the wig was not too bad as it was human hair... Had one of Katy Blackwells circlets thought it looked ok.. no-one knew it wasn't my hair.. may have to experiment..

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

The point I was trying to make (not brilliantly admittedly - still got flu) wasn't that hoods are wrong as such.

More I was questioning whether they'd be worn without another hair covering underneath (in which case, why not just go with the 'underneath' layer).

Also I've personally always found that hoods get in the way and just annoy me when I'm trying to work (my personal opinion - the same not very high one I have for veils and wimples (get in the way while eating...)and things - although I have to admit, I have friends who positively love theirs).

I don't think it's a problem; isn't there sufficient evidence for women wearing a buttoned cote without anything over them?

Oh, yes, but don't forget that by the fourteenth / fifteenth century, you've already started on the slide into colder weather that culminated in the 'mini ice age' (ice fairs on the thames) of the 16th century, and which can be tracked through the amount of layers generally worn (it can also be tracked in reverse sort of - or could if the victorians didn't get in the way).
so the chances of anybody wearing a linen kirtle outdoors, with only a linen chemise under it, and no top layer would be relatively minimal - not to mention the 'decency aspect'.
but as I did say, it's not a huge problem, and is very common, but knowing British re-enactors in general like I do, there will always be the odd few who go 'nee'. :lol: (like the woman who accused one of my jacks of having plastic cuff buttons, when they were horn humph - can you tell I never got over that even though it was years ago!!)

Debs
Miss Piggy

purple peril

Post by purple peril »

Hello, yes that arrangement works pretty well for the reasons already stated by Lady C, and if I had double chins it would probably hide them too :shock:

A tip though...pins, lots of pins...particularly when it's windy. Oh, that would be all the time then :?

Gothic-Haven

Post by Gothic-Haven »

Tuppence wrote:The chances of anybody wearing a linen kirtle outdoors, with only a linen chemise under it, and no top layer would be relatively minimal - not to mention the 'decency aspect'.
but as I did say, it's not a huge problem, and is very common, but knowing British re-enactors in general like I do, there will always be the odd few who go 'nee'. :lol: Debs

I have 2 woolen kirtles that I can almost never fully wear cos I get too hot so usually wear it down and belted and my chemise and leather bodice ontop.. a bit wenchy but effective :)
As we are traders there is a certain amount of leeway given (I hope..) and I agree with the "faffy"ness of veils and hoods etc when trying to keep an eye on the MOPs.. I will give it a go and see how I get on.. I will miss my leather bodice though :cry: have to think of a way of keeping the puppies on show :lol: and yes I know that is not what its all about.. but I am so used to wearing corsetry in my Victorian incarnation I miss them in the summer

Drachelis

Post by Drachelis »

A linen sideless surcoat would go over quite nicely - edged in a contrasting colour - I think that is the way I am going to go this year - I find houppelandes just too cumbersome - and tight belts and heat don'timx where I am concerned - I may look into just a barbette this year as an easy option but it may just end up as a turban style headrail. When its sunny its a kerchief and sun hat.

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

Thomas Hayman

Post by Thomas Hayman »

Aye, nought but praise for Gwen and her handywork, very flashy stuff!

Gothic-Haven

Post by Gothic-Haven »

Drachelis wrote:A linen sideless surcoat would go over quite nicely - edged in a contrasting colour - I think that is the way I am going to go this year - I find houppelandes just too cumbersome - and tight belts and heat don'timx where I am concerned - I may look into just a barbette this year as an easy option but it may just end up as a turban style headrail. When its sunny its a kerchief and sun hat.

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

I better drop you a line if you think one will look good over the new frock! the one I have is light blue linen... I've had it hanging for a couple of days and the creases are starting to drop.. it smells of incense :)

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Could just add to what I put above, that having seen pics in the last couple of day of apparently medieval female re-enactors wearing 17th century coifs :shock: , 16th century hoods :shock: , and medieval (men's!!) coifs :shock: , on reflection anything that was worn by medieval women would be good headdress-wise.

Mutter....mutter....mutter.......
Miss Piggy

Gothic-Haven

Now for Sale

Post by Gothic-Haven »

I decided it really wasn't me when I got to wear it at the weekend... too demure for me :wink: so I am selling it.. its a UK size 26 linen and with cast pewter buttons.. if you are interested please PM me..

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

Tuppence - I distinctly resemble - or do I mean resent - your remark about me being up my bottom about women wandering round 'en dishabille'.

It is all Tricky Dicky's fault that I froth around the mouth. He was and remains a BAAAAAAAD influence and we like to torture him with inappropriate-for-period wood on a regular basis.

I think my favourite was presenting him his breakfast bacon roll on an authenti-trencher we found for him. He smirked politely at the foot it stood on, and went faintly puce when we let the mechanism go and it revolved and pinged 'eidelweiss' at him. We have never seen it since.

I still want a nice Norman outfit - you have my specifications......

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Alice the Huswyf wrote:
I still want a nice Norman outfit - you have my specifications......

Oh great
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

... I could wear it to Hastings and a captive saxon childeen could follow me, carrying my plaits......

tailordrews

Post by tailordrews »

Hi,
Oh that is a lovely dress, especially the collour is very nice. I also love her hood and the hairstyle. Is it braided hair she has inside the hood?

Very nice

Bjarne
The world is in need of beauty! Embroider!

On the eight day, god created costumes and reenactors!