late 15th century short cloaks.

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Zachos

late 15th century short cloaks.

Postby Zachos » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 am

Hey guys. As we know, in the late 15th century (1460-75) it was considered rather rude to walk around just in your doublet, so I'm in the process of sorting out what should go over the top.

I've been interested in a style cloak that Historic enterprises do a reconstruction of here, but have only seen one original where it is worn over just a doublet. Does anyone have any additional images of cloaks like this, either worn with or without a gown/cote underneath?

The other option is of course to go straight for the cote/gown, as worn here:

Any suggestions or images would be great.

Zac

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

wulfenganck

Re: late 15th century short cloaks.

Postby wulfenganck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:16 am

Hmm, I think I have seen that sort of short cloak over a doublet in the Housebook Wolfegg, otherwise known as the "Venus and Mars" housebook, made around/after 1480. Here is an example: http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Hausbuch_Wolfegg_13r_Mars.jpg&filetimestamp=20080209164515
Here are some more pictures: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausbuch_%28Schloss_Wolfegg%29

There may be more examples, but this is for the moment the only one to come to my mind. It's german 'though (and even referring more to the southern part of the HRE), therefore I'd definitely check for period examples in your region.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Zachos wrote:Hey guys. As we know, in the late 15th century (1460-75) it was considered rather rude to walk around just in your doublet, so I'm in the process of sorting out what should go over the top.

I've been interested in a style cloak that Historic enterprises do a reconstruction of here, but have only seen one original where it is worn over just a doublet. Does anyone have any additional images of cloaks like this, either worn with or without a gown/cote underneath?

Zac

I can't see anyone wearing a cloak. The guys at the bottom of the picture appear to be a herald and persuivants and are wearing their tabbards of office.

There is a dandy wearing a hip-length tabbard over his doublet from the 1450's. The only picture that I can remember of him is in the scrolling pictures on Sarah Thursfield's site, but I know that he's from a painting some-where.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Tiamat

Postby Tiamat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:17 pm

You could also go with a giornea. I'm not sure if they were worn beyond Italy, though. You can wear them over a doublet or over a gown.

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Colin Middleton wrote:
Zachos wrote:Hey guys. As we know, in the late 15th century (1460-75) it was considered rather rude to walk around just in your doublet, so I'm in the process of sorting out what should go over the top.

Zac

I can't see anyone wearing a cloak. The guys at the bottom of the picture appear to be a herald and persuivants and are wearing their tabbards of office.

There is a dandy wearing a hip-length tabbard over his doublet from the 1450's. The only picture that I can remember of him is in the scrolling pictures on Sarah Thursfield's site, but I know that he's from a painting some-where.

The image shown is to demonstrate the gown. I've got a picture of a dude with a cloak over just a doublet, but it's in a book and I can't be bothered scanning it in.

Thanks Wulfengack. Those are really helpful. I think I will make a short cloak now, as those images are a lot more clear about what they look like.

As for the Giornea, I'm not sure I've seen an image of one of those outside of italy. I might be wrong about that though.

Zac

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:38 pm

:doh: Sorry Zachos, I follow what you're on about now. I must be more careful when skim-reading! :$ I can't see the short cloack link at work as it's been blocked!

Best wishes

Colin

Colin

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:54 pm

If you make a short cloak, please make it out of some substantial stuff. It is difficult to suspend believe when there are short cloaks wafting around in the breeze. Or if the fabric is thin, put some weights around the hem. Why wear a cloak if it does not stay still long enough to be admired, and is not stable enough to wrap around the body and provide some warmth when sitting on a horse?

Just one of my, very few, bees in my bonnet.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Fear not, Frances.

Whatever Zac makes, he will make sure it is admired... :roll: :D

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:56 am

I've got a lovely mid weight wool, with a silk to line it, just ready to be turned into the cloak. It should be just heavy enough to stay in place, and just light enough to give flashes ofthe silk underneath.

Colin: The image of the HE short cloak is from their facebook page, which is probably why it isn't showing. It isn't too important now, as I'll be using a simpler design. I might turn this thread into an information and progress thread though, if people would like.

Zac

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:52 am

Nothing Ialian - camorra, giorna, camisa, several styles of gown and hat - would be appropriate in Engand at this date, unless it was worn by an Italian Ambassador.

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Zachos wrote:Colin: The image of the HE short cloak is from their facebook page, which is probably why it isn't showing. It isn't too important now, as I'll be using a simpler design. I might turn this thread into an information and progress thread though, if people would like.

That'll be why, thanks.

Colin

Colin

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:09 pm

I imagine the Italian community of Southampton and London might have worn a gorneacia. After the Flemish the Lombards were the largest alien population in 15th century England. I still would advise against it though, my wife has told me that after hose it is the hardest garment she has made for me.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Well, of course they would, wouldn't they, Markie-poo! HOnestly - you boys are so literal...........

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

houseoffreyja

Postby houseoffreyja » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:58 pm

I'm going to try and make some of these capes for Tewksbury. We already make Travellers cloaks and these are quite similar.
Pop in and see us, if you are interested in these.
Elaine
House of Freyja

Return to “Costumes”