Taming the fabric stash?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

Taming the fabric stash?

Postby sally » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:40 pm

We decided that as a New Year thing we'd try to make sure that each storage area in the house only has in it the things that are meant to live there. So, we have just sorted out the costume cupboard, and evicted all the odds and ends of fabric that had gone to hide in there.

So far so good, I now know that my Iron Age kit is not off partying with my Tudor kit, and that the Regency ballgown has been moved to a safe and modest distance from his Pirate jacket, and the disturbing furry items that are part of a Neolithic coat are not trying to breed with my arisaid- but I now have a double bed completely covered in a small mountain of fabric and no home for it. Its not even my main fabric stash, most of it lives in MILs attic, and there are half a dozen rolls of fabric to accommodate.

eep. I don't know where to start, Maybe sorting it into cotton, wool and silk piles? What do I do with it then? Divide by end use, or by random size? I need ideas please!

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Re: Taming the fabric stash?

Postby lucy the tudor » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:54 pm

If I knew the answer to that one I wouldn't have the storeroom looking like it does, best of luck. :$

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:51 pm

It still sounds more organised than mine....

'Don't open that cupbard Selwyn, things fall out' (showing my age now!)

I've tried to be organised but I can't. Anyway, it's great when I do finally go through it and 'rediscover' new old fabric!

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:01 pm

I work it like this:

Fabric - general dressmaking, boxed by colour
Woollen fabric - re-enactment ,stacked by colour
Linen fabrics - re-enactment, stacked by colour

- and admittedly a couple of small boxes of nice muslin types for ball gowns

Otherwise things are boxed by type, in the case of multiples like embroidery thread, sewing thread, buttons, bagged by colour group.

Quicker to find stuff that way and saves buying stuff twice. Am presently intent on a "use up" to get jobs off the list, stuff that is the right size/fit for use and the cupboard space back. - And then I can go and hunt more stash down :twisted:

Matching size boxes (lidded fruit boxes are great) that can stack and clear labels are ideal.

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Alice the Huswyf wrote:I work it like this:

Fabric - general dressmaking, boxed by colour
Woollen fabric - re-enactment ,stacked by colour
Linen fabrics - re-enactment, stacked by colour

- and admittedly a couple of small boxes of nice muslin types for ball gowns

Otherwise things are boxed by type, in the case of multiples like embroidery thread, sewing thread, buttons, bagged by colour group.

Quicker to find stuff that way and saves buying stuff twice. Am presently intent on a "use up" to get jobs off the list, stuff that is the right size/fit for use and the cupboard space back. - And then I can go and hunt more stash down :twisted:

Matching size boxes (lidded fruit boxes are great) that can stack and clear labels are ideal.

Please come and live with us, I will cook and wash stuff, and rub your feet... :thumbup:

lucythetudor@gmail.com

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:12 pm

I managed to bag this lot by likely end use, but I still have nowhere to put it. I think I may have to have a coupel of days making basic hoods and coifs for the stall to use up some odds and ends that arent quite big enough for garments. Not an area I intended doing much of, but they sell well to the MOPs for instant dressing up purposes, so I may as well clear the smaller bits that way

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:59 pm

I have bought (not enough) sealable and stackable boxes from Staples, and the original intention was to box by fabric type - linen/wool/silk/anything else. However, that only works if you have enough boxes, otherwise the spare cottons go in the silk box which had some space, the "anything else" goes in the wools - you get the idea. Once in a while I do a giant sort- now due! Because the boxes are sealable, they seem to be pretty moth proof if dosed with moth repellent sachets.

It will be interesting to see what happens when we downsize, some time next year, hopefully. Currently some of the boxes are in the spare room, and others are on the landing - we have a large house!

Sophia suggested putting a sample of each fabric in a file, (she's much more organised than me) with quantity, content, possible use, which I did, but looked at the file the other day and don't recognise half the fabrics - oops!

Suzi

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:44 pm

lucy the tudor wrote: Please come and live with us, I will cook and wash stuff, and rub your feet... :thumbup:

Let's be honest, you would like it for a little while, until you found yourself weighted down by constant demands for cardboard boxes of a certain size that used to hold a certain product becuase only that one has the correct stackable footprint for the larger polka dot viscose based patchwork sized fragments.........................that or you would weep at my insistence that while bags of sawdust are useful, they are only useful if given away to people who want to use it, or if you intend to take up firing pottery with a primitive dustbin kiln THIS weekend.

But I think the insistence on 24/7 foot rubbing would get me kicked out fastest

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:20 pm

Alice, there are times,when I look at the edges if every room, and think of all the times I have nearly got it tidy...
So, as long as you took over shouting at everyone who left anything that was not polka dot viscose, in the place set aside for polka dot viscose, then I would go to the ends of the earth for boxes, and rub your feet until they had friction burns, or the scented oils had turned them to wrinkles(as to your preference, of course).
They tell me I'm a control freak, but if that were true, surely I should be in control by now? :?

lucythetudor@gmail.com

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:08 pm

They tell me I'm a control freak, but if that were true, surely I should be in control by now?

One of the truths we have to stare in the face before we die. In the end it leads to this attitude.
don't make me 2.jpg

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:25 pm

well following a discussion Ms Lough has embarked on a thorough (her words not mine) stock take

so far she has just I believe completed the haberdashery and that's been an eye opener

Fabrics next

I HAVE SKIP on order :D

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Or an emergency rescue party by qualified dressmakers.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:21 am

*cough*

my costume room is organised by date in boxes and wardrobes.

My loft is organised by type of fabric and boxes of exhibition stuff are organised by date and whether underwear, skirts, shoes etc etc.

My spare room is organised by 20th century exhibition stuff by date in boxes.

The threads are organised by type and the cottons then by colour, and I have different drawers for elastic, tapes etc etc.

Am I organised?

Quite frankly every room actually looks like a bomb site with every surface covered with things I am in the middle of doing - I may go back there to do a bit more after a year, but I do go back. I confess there is also a big box, and a heap next to the box in the loft of things waiting to be put in their correct places, the spare room has a huge heap of mid 20th century items on the floor waiting to be filed in boxes, and the friends flat - Oh didn't I mention that before? and the friend's garage is just heaps of boxes and rolls of fabric - although the fabric is all at the front. But what is hiding at the back and has been there for the past 10 years - I have absolutely no idea whatsoever. And can I find the box of buckles. Heaven only knows where I put that in the garage - which has no light so can only be looked at in the daylight when it is not raining!

Anyone want to start a haberdashery shoppe?

Jackie Phillips

Postby Jackie Phillips » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:23 pm

I am not organised. That's why I don't live in my house, I go and stay at Fox's every night.

Trust your instincts, whatever else you do.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:47 am

It's all your fault! I spent yesterday organising the stash boxes (there is other stuff for another time.). Found fabric I don't even vaguely remember buying, that will save me some money. I have enough scraps to make about 5 full size quilts, and should never need to buy fabric for modern clothes ever again!! Actually, I am grateful for the nudge - it needed to be done!

Suzi

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Jackie, that post is practically a tee-shirt.

Pelican

Postby Pelican » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Glad to know I'm not alone with my unkempt sewing area(s); there is always one part of the house that looks like a bomb has exploded in Bernie the Bolt's tent.

We're moving in two weeks to a bigger place with large utility room to accommodate all my fabric related activities, I'm only 24, what's going to happen to me once I retire... :worried:

"You can find a job and sort your life out any time, the pub closes in five hours"

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Doreen bras, mild stress incontinence and lots of little bags containing single spare buttons for garments you no longer own (but which will come in useful one day). :twisted:

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:29 pm

well we are still going strong

2 binliners full of offcuts to the bin today

garage done HOORAY haberdashery done hooray still to do the wargaming room and a lot of random stuff

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:59 pm

When I get rid of fabric pieces or bits of card, or anything that could be useful I give it to the local school or give it away on freecycle. There is also a scrap store near to me where they accept donations of consumables and then virtually give the stuff away to crafts teachers who work in schools, clubs of all sorts and holiday schemes. So many people seem to do scrapbooking, card-making and the like these days; stops them hanging around on street corners I suppose.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Yes we already do that BUT this is a major clearout and all areas ahve already been maxed out

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm getting rid of stuff to all my costuming friends, as we will be downsizing in a year or so, (from a three storey house)and I am retiring (at last!) What will I do with a filing cabinet of cotton thread, hooks and eyes and other haberdashery, and other things like ribbons, laces, let alone the fabric stash?! BTW like Nigel and Debs, I already do the handouts to various charitable bods, and have a huge collection of scraps for future quilts. It's the 10 yards/metres (times several) of smart wool (not always suitable for living history or re-enactment) I thought I'd use, and then didn't.

S

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:05 pm

Ebay the long lengths.

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:10 pm

My bedroom is full of plastic tubs. Some are filled with general bits and pieces, some with craft related stuff, another with Tudor accoutrements and then there are tubs for:
- modern fabric used for modern things
- cotton/linen fabric
- wool fabric
- Tudor gentry fabric

Even those aren't neat inside and I found some black wool and some wool for C5th use on a chair the other day. All Regency fabric is stuffed in a drawer and 5m of silk on a roll in another room. I think it'll need another sort out, but I hate getting rid of fabric, even the scrappy useless bits.

Alice - talking about buttons, the other weekend my mum and I spent the evening going through the tins of buttons we've accumulated and have sorted and bagged them all by colour, or by other categories. I also keep the spare buttons that come with clothes :)

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:35 pm

Ahh, but you are still young enough to want - rather than need - to wear serious corsetry!

Return to “Costumes”