Handmade fabrics

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Hellequin

Handmade fabrics

Postby Hellequin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:15 pm

I'm after a reasonably-priced but quality supplier for late-fifteenth century appropriate hand-spun, dyed etc woollen fabrics, and linens as well. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be British if the price is right....

thanks in advance

EnglishArcher

Re: Handmade fabrics

Postby EnglishArcher » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:51 pm

Aren't we all!

To approach reasonable medieval quality you're looking at today's top-end reproductions. A good hand-woven broadcloth is probably £50 - £100 a yard; then you're looking at anything up to £25+ per yard to have it dyed in appropriate vegetable dyes.

The only (modern) piece of hand-woven, hand-dyed cloth I have seen in the last year was Ruth Gilbert's worsted cloth that she displayed at TORM. That's only about a yard (ish) long and took an age to weave. It would probably cost thousands to reproduce (IF you could talk Ruth into it!)

...of course, it would make me VERY happy to be proven wrong on this :)

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:44 am

I can put you in touch with a spinner who is also a master weaver, but its likely to cost you an arm and a leg and take a long time.

Presumably you've already considered machine spun but woven to specific historic specifications fabrics like the ones Stuart Peachey does?

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:40 am

Good quality machine made wools are £25+ a metre. What do you consider reasonable for what you want?

Tudor Tailor do some nice stuff but it's machine woven http://www.tudortailor.com/woolshop.shtml

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Return to “Costumes”