Bullion Fringe

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

John Waller
Post Knight

Bullion Fringe

Post by John Waller »

Anyone know of a supplier of white 50mm (ish) bullion fringe? Ideally woollen but I would settle for cotton or even a mix that does not look too man-made. I have trawled all over the WWW and can only find one supplier in the US.

Cheers

John
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Thomas Hayman

Re: Bullion Fringe

Post by Thomas Hayman »

Try Hand and Lock, i'm sure they will at least know somewhere you can get it if they don't have it. http://www.handembroidery.com/
Official Thumb biter.

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Post by Neibelungen »

Hand's only deal with gold/silver bullion fringe.

Most of the larger trimming/theatrical suppliers should have 2" cotton bullion fringe available. You'll probably have to ring them to enquire as their online lists are usually just that.

You'll struggle to find anything in worsted or wool though, it's just not made and almost everything domestic is either cotton or rayon/acrylic now for home furnishings. A couple of companies I know who do reproduction work for tudor interiors etc will make it, but usually will require 100m minimums. The French still do some, but most of the big french re-enactment suppliers bring it in from India these days.

Wyedeans weave their own up to order, but usually in 6" lengths rather than commercially.
Military Metalwork
Accoutrements, Regalia, Headdres & Metalwork

http://www.militarymetalwork.co.uk

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

Gina Barrett can almost certainly make you some, it will not be cheap but she doesn't have a minimum order IIRC and her work is superb. :D
aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

Thanks guys. I have found some 50mm stuff on ebay which I'm thinking about and will take the advice of ringing around. In my www wanderings I came upon this video, which you might find interesting, of a couple of guys in Oz who hand weave bullion making 7-10 metres per day. I still don't understand how the bullions stay twisted :?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=psDnYOnQXdM

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Post by Neibelungen »

John,

the bullions stay twisted because theres a lot of twist put into the thread before they weave it into the header tape. Once the remove the thin wood frame from between the loop, because it goes down and then back up, the twist is reversed on itself and once it has spun up, it's neutral and stays twisted. Exactly the same is making a two ply cord with a pencil and door hook.

It's harder to explainthan to actually do.
Military Metalwork
Accoutrements, Regalia, Headdres & Metalwork

http://www.militarymetalwork.co.uk

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

Neibelungen wrote:John,

the bullions stay twisted because theres a lot of twist put into the thread before they weave it into the header tape. Once the remove the thin wood frame from between the loop, because it goes down and then back up, the twist is reversed on itself and once it has spun up, it's neutral and stays twisted. Exactly the same is making a two ply cord with a pencil and door hook.

It's harder to explainthan to actually do.
Got it now. Thanks.

GinaB

Post by GinaB »

Thanks Sophia!

And yes, I can weave some - would need to know what the header was like though, as some have fairly intricate patterns, but getting hold of the wool in the first place wouldn't be a problem, and if its a plain header, not a problem at all.

If you're looking to experiment on your own, a drill which moves in both directions fitted with a cuphook is great for twisting 2-ply cords, without buying the fancy cord making machines. To make your fringe even, you'll also want some sort of template to wrap the twisted cord around as you weave. (Wood, or good card)