Medieval 'headscarf' and apron

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Demecat

Medieval 'headscarf' and apron

Postby Demecat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:00 pm

I have some linen so I can make a simple apron and headscarf. For the apron, I read somewhere that the best way to make it is out of a square piece of linen and a thin piece to make the ties. Obviousely, I'll hem them, but for sizing, should the apron be from the natural waist to the floor?

Also, for the headscarf, how big does it need to be? And as I'm a 'maiden' can I get away with just having my hair braided?

Demecat

Re: Medieval 'headscarf' and apron

Postby Demecat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:31 pm

I've completed the apron!

*wanders when her hand will stop cramping now that she's finished.*

rowana

Postby rowana » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:36 pm

get hold of Sarah Thursfield's 'Medieval Tailor' well worth the money- patterns for everything you need.

As for your hair ebing uncovered, braided...how old are you? It is unlikely anyone would ahve had their hair uncovered unelss they were a very young maiden, remember girls married off very young so if you are under 16 then possibly it would be fine. Otherwise I would advose covering your heard. A simple oblong of linen is fine, jsut make sure you can tie the corners under your head at the back, you can gather the rest into aloose knot. There is an easy flemmish cap in the pattern book if you want something mroe stylised.

Demecat

Postby Demecat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Thank you and darn, I'm 19!

Can we get away with hairspray (applied when no public is around)? Only my hair really does have a mind of it's own and no matter how well my hair is pinned, preened and secured under a hat/scarf, I've got this dreadful feeling it'll just unravel!

rowana

Postby rowana » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Of course!

Why not braid is and pin it to your head?

I personally make lots of little twists in my hair and pin them to my head. It keeps my hair secure and in the evening I have some curls as effectively I have pin curled it all day.

Seek the advice of your group regarding your hair, they may be happy for you to portray an unwed/ young maiden, but usually they would wear a headvovering even if they hair was braided loose down their back. I am also new to all this (only been to two events) but I have a good friend n my group who I bombard my questions to as I have made and gathered kit over the winter months.

Also it will depend on the class you are portraying, if you are a camp follower you are 'working class' and would be expected to cover your hair in society- only very noble ladies dresed their hair and perhaps had some shoing under their headdresses.

Demecat

Postby Demecat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Looks like I'll have to pin and pray lol cause even in braids, it has a habit of falling out!

rowana

Postby rowana » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:59 pm

How long is your hair?

How about two plaits at the sid eof your head, bring them up over your head and criss cross back down, pinning them as you go?

Or a french pleat and curl the length at the nape of the neck and pin?

Once your headcovering is on, it will secure it in place as you are not touching your hair at all.

Demecat

Postby Demecat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:04 pm

It's medium long. Oh well, I'll give the ladies in my group a good challenge (and pray I don't become part of a hairdressing display lol)

Lady Cecily

Postby Lady Cecily » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:00 pm

Demecat wrote:Looks like I'll have to pin and pray lol cause even in braids, it has a habit of falling out!

Your hair is too clean, either don't wash it for a couple of days before you braid or add plenty of modern product if you can't face that.

Caroline

Demecat

Postby Demecat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:46 pm

I'll have to do the latter because I'm off to the see the doc tomorrow and mum would have a heart attack if I went there (or anywhere) with dirty hair lol

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:49 am

Flemish coifs are great - if you are flemish. Fashion was much more insular nationally than we experience today. If you are english, dress in the english style and look like an englishwoman, if French etc etc etc.

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

rowana

Postby rowana » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Alice the Huswyf wrote:Flemish coifs are great - if you are flemish. Fashion was much more insular nationally than we experience today. If you are english, dress in the english style and look like an englishwoman, if French etc etc etc.

As said, ask your group before making anything- I try to make stuff that I have seen others wearing in my group or I ask their advice.

As a medival Gok Wan might have said. 'it's all about the provenance' :D

Demecat

Postby Demecat » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:48 pm

Urgh!

A modern day Gok Wan is bad enough, but a medieval one.....?

Hmmm, actually, that could be quite funny....

*thinks of him wearing a rediculously long cotehardie and tripping over his poulaines*

heehee

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Tue May 04, 2010 3:06 pm

Depending on the time period and all -- again, quite a lot depends on that -- you may be able to get by with your hair properly dressed in whatever style is fashionable.

There's also the possibility of the women's caps at http://www.larsdatter.com/birgitta-caps.htm -- they seem reasonably capable of covering up hair that just won't stay put (though you do have to pin it up underneath, it seems). The links include at least one English illustration, though most (but not all) of the illustrations linked from that site were done in France.

I've heard that it can help to tie a kerchief around one's head as the innermost layer of a wimple/veil headdress, but I usually just borrow one of my husband's white linen coifs and wear that underneath as a sort of anchor or foundation layer; then I pin the wimple, and then the veil, directly to the coif, so that it's hidden under all that linen.

Erty

Postby Erty » Sat May 08, 2010 5:03 am

My hair is very long & I had the same problem, so I tried "Birgitta's cape" this year & foud it perfect! With this stuff all your hair is under the linen cap that sits tightly on your head :thumbup: You don't need to use pins! And if you like you can wear braids with it.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue May 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Demecat wrote:(and pray I don't become part of a hairdressing display lol)

Why? That's good living history!

As for Gok Wan, for some reason that I still can't figure out, a MOP referred to me as a medieval Gok Wan at Bosworth 2 years ago! :crazy:

What period are you doing? Medieval covers several hundred years an fashions changed a lot in that time.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Tue May 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Plaits are your saviour really - when my hair was waist length I used to split it and plait it and then put it under a simple linen coif with long strings which then allows you to secure it.
You can pin/add any headdress you want over that.
The big advantage to having your hair covered is that it stays cleanish and relatively tangle free - this is why I think even quite young girls probably had their hair covered. Remember there was no proper conditioner in those days. Who is going allow their children to float around with lovely flowing locks if they have to brush it afterwards?

Demecat

Postby Demecat » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:21 am

Thanks for all your help! I'll see what I can do.

Colin, I'm WOTR era.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:24 pm

Demecat wrote:Colin, I'm WOTR era.

That's good, I'd hate for you to be getting WotR replies, when you're doing a 14thC interpretation!

Good luck.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Return to “Costumes”