doublet costs

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

wibble

doublet costs

Postby wibble » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi

Is anybody able to give a ball park figure of how much it would cost to have a early 15th/late 14th doublet made if I supply the materials ?

Thanks

EnglishArcher

Re: doublet costs

Postby EnglishArcher » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Depends whether you want it fitted properly or not; and how you want it made.

Off-the-peg, machine construction, some hand finishing you can get from about £65 - £70.
Fitted, machine construction, hand finishing, probably £100 upwards.
Fitted, completely hand-sewn, probably £150 upwards.

Access to the tailor will be important if you want a well-fitted doublet that you can actually move in.

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:22 am

Depends whether you're providing all the materials, or only the ones that most people think should be used.

The latter is usually the outer and buttons (if any). The former is outer, linng, interlining(s), threads, and fastening.

If you're doing the former I'd say around £150 or £160 ish for hand sewn, depending on the style (made to measure, natch). If the latter then more like £110 - £130 ish.

That's for hand finished. For an entirely hand sewn garment, you won't get a professional job for under £400.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi the first time Debs says hand sewn she means hand finished

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Return to “Costumes”