Bunny Blanket

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Erald

Bunny Blanket

Postby Erald » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some advice here. I'm planing to make a bunny blanket for my little one who is due this month for next year's season. I have various pelts that I need to cut up and sew together that will be then sewn onto a backing fabric. The problem is that I'm not sure which is the best way to go about it.

I personally have no problem with using this fur, since I'm a omivore and that as far as I'm aware these skins are the by product of the food industry. That and the fact that I would rather use natural materials that biodegrade rather than certain man made materials that do not.

I'm assuming that I should cut the skins gently, using a knife / scalpel / craft / stanley etc, fur side down so as not to damage the pile. That the piles should all finish up the same way and a natural waxed linen thread be used for sewing. Part from those basic principles I'm at a bit of a loss. What type of stich is best, do I hem it and any other ideas would be greatfully received such as how to clean etc.

Erald D'Skwyire

houseoffreyja

Re: Bunny Blanket

Postby houseoffreyja » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Or you could get in touch with House of De Clifford and get the skins from them.
Elaine

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:59 pm

You're right on the cutting (although with care it can be done with scissors too, it's best to use a knife of some sort, then tease out the pile).

I assume you're handstitching, as linen thread won't machine, in which case you'll need to use something like a whipstitch or a blanket stitch. Put the skins right side together, and push the pile away from the seam as you sew.

You can also machine it, and you'd need to use a zig zag for that (not too small a stitch length, about half way on most machine dials).

You may find that you can't get all the fur pile going in exactly the same direction - animals don't grow it all in one direction, obviously - but if you get the main part of the fur in one direction, that will be the best you can achieve.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 pm

the only info I can find are these mere snippets, but useful for layout types
http://furcoats.info/fur_pelts.html

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Erald

Postby Erald » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks for the help and comments, very much appreciated. I'll be on maternity leave soon, so hoping I can find some time to sit and sew :?

I will be hand sewing as my last machine has died on me, just doesn't work any more and my hand machine is somewhere still packed. Moving in to a wreck of a house, doing up and falling pregnant part way through was not the best idea, but made for an interesting year. :crazy:
:crazy:
Hopefully I'll be able to finish it in time for the little one to roll around on it during the season and be a snug as a bug in a fur bunny rug :D

Again thanks for the help.

Erald D'Skwyire

Jackie Phillips

Postby Jackie Phillips » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:32 pm

I recently made a bunny blanket of 35 skins - I get cold at night in tents - and the advice I got from Dave at De Cliffords was as follows.

Find the smallest skin and measure the biggest rectangle that will fit completely onto it. Make a template this size from cardboard.

Draw that rectangle onto all the skins.

Using a craft knife, scalpel or stanley blade gently cut through, while holding the skin taut and away from the surface underneath.

Using 3 threads of a 6 thread embroidery skein and a fine, sharp needle, sew the skins with a whip stitch - a spiral - close to the edge.

Sew them in strips and then sew the strips together.

I found it tricky at first as the fur pulls through the sewing holes, but if you keep it pinched between the skins as you go, it's not too bad.

Good luck, the end results are soooo worth it, you'll want one for yourself.

Jackie

Trust your instincts, whatever else you do.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:42 pm

You may want to pick up a glover's needle to sew with, just don't cut yourself with it, they're sharp!

Best of luck.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:10 am

Shouldn't be necessary for rabbit skins unless they're particularly thick.

Leather needles on finer skins will cause more damage than you'd ideally want. You don't want too many holes cut into them - decent sized sharp is often the best needle to used (triangulated point leather needles are designed to cut the skins, a normal pointed needle will create a smaller hole).

Keep the leather needles for any patches that have particularly thick bits of the skin (if there are any), or use an awl.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Attilla the Bun

Postby Attilla the Bun » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:24 pm

*shudder*

Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Tuppence wrote:Shouldn't be necessary for rabbit skins unless they're particularly thick.

You surprise me. I didn't think that ribbit would be much lighter than some gloving skins, but I guess that with it not being tanned, it'll be easier to work. I'd definitely expext an awl to do more damage than you'd want, but hadn't thought of that being an issue with the glovers needles.

Thanks for the tip.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Erald

Postby Erald » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Hi All,

Many thanks for the input, I've worked out a pattern based on the size of the skins, so hopefully it'll turn out alright.

To Attilla, my apologies to your family, but if I could catch the nasty squriels that chewed all our new wiring earlier this year, I'd be making a squriel blanket instead of a bunny one.

Erald D'Skwyire

Attilla the Bun

Postby Attilla the Bun » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:43 pm

=:o)

Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

Return to “Costumes”