Mob Caps

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

Mob Caps

Post by sally »

Yes, the much abused mainstay of the cheap and cheerful costume department and 'historic' village fete and 'victorian' tea room, almost always seen in the wrong timeline, on the wrong character and in the wrong fabric.

But, I was just pondering this funny little gathered circle of cotton, and realised I don't have a firm idea of when they are actually right for. Is there in fact a specific period and status that did actually gather a circle of cotton, tack a bit of cheap lace to the edge, and call it a hat? :lol:

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

Silly girl! Of course there must be, Mothers are never wrong, and Mothers send their little darlings to school wearing one for ANY time period you are to teach them about. From Viking to Victorian, there they are...
Some of those mothers you wouldn't want to argue with either :wink:
lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, *rse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Theotherone

Post by Theotherone »

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 946296D6CF

"The Mob cap is still made use of. It is one of the most comfortable and becoming caps that has been devised" :shock:
Because there would have to be three of them.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

I tend to think of them as 1790-1820....Or is that just too much Blackadder III..........?
Steve
"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

they show up in the mid - late 18th century and the first half of the 19th, offhand.

can look it up better, but the books are upstairs.

still hideous things though.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

wurzul

Post by wurzul »

They turn up in Pyne's microcosm of Picturesque views of rural occupations in early C19th england on every female above the age of six-ish- I had to check once. This was published 1807-8 and its 641 illustrations were hugely cribbed by later C19th artists who often peopled their landscapes with figures drawn from Pyne's plates. I have a vague feeling that the ubiquity of mobcaps in late C18th-early C19th impressions is partly Pyne's fault. That, and some accounts from New England that stress the indecency of women's heads being un-covered. These accounts are not necessarily representing the general view- they are sometimes a sort of puritan polemic- but you will have heard this argument plenty of times in various other periods and be familiar with the pros and cons. Plenty of genre pictures of the late C18th show women working outdoors with heads un-covered.
But generally the orthodoxy for late C18th-early C19th England costuming is a mob-cap, even worn underneath any other hat or bonnet, becoming progressively archaic as the C19th progresses til it reaches BBC drama shorthand for crazy old bat circa-Dickins. Ho hum.

Christabel

Post by Christabel »

I think a lot of the popularity of the mob cap is due to the illustrations of cute, innocent children in retro-Regency gear drawn by Kate Greenaway.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Re: Mob Caps

Post by frances »

Definitely a circular affair is from around the 1770's and 80's. They vary in size depending upon fashion and the country you are in, according to the fashion-plates. There are huge great puffed-up ones atop high head-dresses, slightly smaller ones are on the maids. When the 'loads of curls' styles came in the large mob cap was also sometimes worn, but never the little elasticated circle with nylon lace around the edge (shudder)

However they did not stay circular for long. White caps of a different style were worn earlier in the 18th century. In Regency/Napoleonic times they are very little in evidence in the pics I have seen - although there was a huge and ever-changing variety of headdresses throughout that period.

So come on then, who can produce a portrait with the little circular cap (with fringe sticking out?) who can prove me wrong?

Theotherone

Post by Theotherone »

http://cbertel.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/mob-cap.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Penel ... ynolds.jpg

The girl's is the closest to our "modern Mobs" and of course there is the one in the fashion page
Because there would have to be three of them.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

I've just twigged - bath caps!!