Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

:twisted: :?: :P
aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Hang on, for the non-costume geeks amongst us, can you learned ones confirm that sewing my new later 15th century joined hose by using threads teased out of leftover wool is good? Seems to be working so far, and I'm planning on using linen thread of similar shade for point holes, or should I just use unbleached linen? The wool is a bright wine red, not a dull dark wine red. (YMMV)

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

If it works, it's fine, don't worry about it.

The hitch with modern fabrics is that not all of them have threads that are sufficiently spun to ensure strength (all medieval threads will have been spun the same way and amount, whether they were for sewing or for clothmaking).

Some will, so if it's working, don't look for something wrong. You can usually tell if the fibres aren't strong enough when you try sewing with them, because if not strong, you won't be able to sew without it snapping every ten seconds.

For point holes I would use a linen thread, yes.
You can get colours, but given the extra friction over the holes, you'll need something that's not as soft as wool as a fibre. Anything will rub away eventually, but linen should last longer.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Ok, thanks. The thread mostly sews ok, its only snapped a couple of times.