Genuine fur

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Genuine fur

Post by Shadowcat »

I have been asked by a museum, for whom I am working, to source some miniver, which they assure me is rabbit? Can anyone tell me where to buy this? It needs to have been treated for costume use, as it is to be part of a handling collection, and must be real fur, not synthetic.

I have also posted on the Buy and Sell thread.

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

Miniver is white fur; as used in gowns worn in the house of lords. Modern 'Ermine' is now rabbit miniver with black spots painted on.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

kate/bob

Post by kate/bob »

I'm making a gown for my other half at the moment and he got the fur for the trimming from Cadmus Dave - I'm sure someone here can supply contact details!

My question is do you treat the fur like a fabric collar and give it the same amount of seam allowance and sew it on the same way? :?: He seems to think that any seam allowance might need to be "shaved" to make it sit flat - in short we are clueless!!!! I understand fabric and he understands leather, but this is trying to be both and neither at the same time! Any input will be greatfully recieved. :D

Drachelis

Post by Drachelis »

The best way I have found for attachibng fur trimming is to neaten the edge by hemming and then fold the fur over the hem and oversew it to the inside of the garment - that is for necks,sleeves and openings. For hems at the bottowm of the garment you will need to oversew trim to outside of the garment at the top of the trimming as well as wrapping around the hem unless attaching to the hem to make a greater length. There is no need to shave it just pull out the caught fur from the stiching with a needle so it is all fluffy at the edge. All of this is beter done by hand sewing rather than machine.

Cheryl
Shadowlight designs

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

I have a very good source for bunny fur. The black and white (no, not b/w bunnies) are modern tanned and very soft and luxurious feeling. The brown bunnies are like wood, very hard and need working on. These come from a reputable national company that supplies the fishing trade. However, please note that these are not large bunnies, I imagine they are babies, so the pelts are not giant in size.

When you sew skins together to make a large sheet or long lengths to make a hem or collar trim, check the direction that the fur is growing and match this. On a collar they should be mirror-image-directions at the front, with a distinct seam line at the back of the neck where the fur goes in opposite directions. You can butt-seam the edges when joining small bits.

Drachalis is right, sew fur with largish stitches by hand and pull out any fur that is trapped by the thread on the right side. Use a leather needle - one that has a slightly flattened shaft to pierce the leather without tearing it. Wax the thread, linen is best. Do not sew directly on the edge of the fur because this will tear the leather. About a qurter of an inch in from the edge seems about right. Use a pair of sharp scissors to cut any fur off the leather backing that happens to end up underneath another layer of fur at the seams; this stops a lump forming which will show up as light glances off the surface fur.

Oh yes, and when you cut fur, do it in the nude, and do not stand on a carpet. You will see why if you do not follow my advice.

Aaachoooooooo!!!

Attilla the Bun

Post by Attilla the Bun »

:shock:

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Dear Attilla, I do hope that your pet is giving you a very big cuddle at this moment.

Alan E

Post by Alan E »

Aaaah, coney stew and tatties, and nice warm trim :twisted: :D
'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

mmm wabbit and carrots - a perfect combination in both ways....slurp
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

frances
Post Knight

Post by frances »

Oh poor Attila. Please close your ears until the all clear blows.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

To attach fur as an edging, don't use any seam allowance on the fur itself, but on the fabric, treat is as normal.

Fold over the edge of the fabric, and top stitch along to edge, going through all layers to make it lie flat, then whip stitch down the other edge / edges of the fur.

If you're making the whole collar out of the fur, stitch it as normal, with seam allowances. When the seam is done, trim the seam allownace to about 5mm on the fabric side (provided it doesn't fray too much - if it does, treat it with fray stop or pva), and about two or three mm on the fur side. Then if it doesn't lie flat, topstitch through all the layers to hold it in place.

And when cutting out, remember to have the fur face down (ie fur side down), and try not to cut through the pile (or you'll be removing fluff from everywhere for months).

debs
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

johnny crow

Post by johnny crow »

Aaaah, coney stew and tatties, and nice warm trim

"Argh!" cried Smeagol, "What's it doing! Stupid fat hobbit! It ruins it!" :D
E TIMIDI MATER NON FLET

" a cowards mother never weeps "

www.freewebs.com/bowmansuk

House of De Clifford

Post by House of De Clifford »

Hi all,

I made a wonderful bunny blanket last season, and didn't trim the skins or shave them. i just place them together so that the seams matched up as best as possible and used back stitch by hand.
I will have it with us on our stall at NLHF along with plenty of bunnys, squirrel, hare and hopefully ermine.

Miranda
House of De Clifford
(we were cadmus dave etc............... just changed business name!!!)