Tudor Tailor Book and Website

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

ninya_mikhaila

Tudor Tailor Book and Website

Postby ninya_mikhaila » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:37 pm

In spring 2006 a new book, The Tudor Tailor: Reconstructing 16th century dress, will be published by BT Batsford.

http://www.tudortailor.com is now live - visit the site to pre order signed first edition copies before they hit the shops and view the calendar of events scheduled to take place up and down the country throughout next year.

nutmeg_bec

Postby nutmeg_bec » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:40 pm

Wow! A cheque's in the post :wink:

Spinit

Postby Spinit » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:45 pm

ditto-posted a note on the help forum so wont repeat.book looks great cant wait!!

Lindsay

Postby Lindsay » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:59 am

*Bump*

Fantastic Book! :D

Historians did it in the past.

Founder of SAG:
The breakaway Society for the Appreciation of Guthrie.

nutmeg_bec

Postby nutmeg_bec » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:40 pm

Arrived a couple of days ago, I've read it cover to cover and made a toile petticoat already... A BRILLIANT BOOK!! :lol:

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:21 pm

Excuse my lack of knowledge of the tudor era, but when exactly was it? Are we talking 1485 to 1603? Or is the subject of this book more just 16th century? Does it cover all of the UK, or only England?

I ask because I have gotten a side sword, fo rhistorical fencing, and now feel the urge to make clothes to go with the sword. Maybe mid 16th century, of whatever was in Scotland at the time. ANy advice would be appreciated.\

Deited to add:
I've looked at the website, so the book covers about 1509 to 1603. Looks interesting. I shall have to get a copy. How well does it explain things for people who dont know much about tudor dress?

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:56 pm

Prefacing by saying that I haven't yet had chance to read the whole thing, I think it covers the whole subject very well - goes into stuff like fabrics, general costume history (and some social history) in the first few chapters, including a 'timeline' of styles for both men and women (ala janet arnold in the later patterns of fashion).

It then goes into patterns and construction techniques. To me these look perfectly straightforward - BUT I am a professional costumer, and have been sewing since before I could read, so even complicated stuff tends to look simple to me :lol: , and it may be better if somebody else can reply in that regard!!

Debbie

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:25 am

on the patterns, how big is each square?
I got addled over the scale in the book, maths isnt my thing

Annis x

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:58 am

One square is equal to 1 inch. This makes it roughly 2.5 centimetres, but that will bring the pattern out very slightly bigger, as 2.5 centimetres is a tiny bit larger that 1 inch.

Hope that is clear for you.

S.

Caithlinn

Postby Caithlinn » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:08 pm

Shadowcat,

Sorry, an inch equals 2.54cm. 2.5 cm is therefore a tiny bit smaller than an inch, not larger.....

(Having grown up with cm, not with inches, this is something I have to work out every time...)

Cheers,

Caithlinn

But I thoroughly agree that the book is fantastic!

Plus faict douceur que violenz

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:51 pm

Ooops - I know it when I do it. Thanks for reminding me! (I still think in inches.)

S.

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:17 pm

oooh, thought so. Thanks!

Annis x

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:12 pm

Guthrie
Ninya's book - will help you get a feel for the the whole Tudor period - people in Lowland Scotland wore more or less the same clothes as those in England at the period. Speaking in general Scottish styles were more old-fashioned than those in England and more influenced by the French than the Spanish - for reasonably obvious reasons. however this of course depends on your social class/status/where you lived/religion etc - but if you want to be a reasonably fashionable gentleman then it's a good place to start

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:41 am

bumping because I'll be placing my order for the book this week, as soon as paypal starts behaving for me.

Also to note that the authors will be doing full sized patterns to match the ones in the book and are looking for feedback on their website.

http://www.tudortailor.com/

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:55 pm

Got my copy just before Tewkesbury, Jenn. It looks good, clear to read, etc. Of couse I wont have time to try and make anything out of it until October, but after that, who knows...

Return to “Costumes”