Advice on a Saxon style tunic

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

CFarrell

Advice on a Saxon style tunic

Post by CFarrell »

Right, last weekend at lanark I got myself 4 metres of lovely thin brown wool stuff from Bernie the Bolt to make a new saxon style tunic. My group does viking and Scottish Wars of Independence period stuff, and Saxon tunics can be worn for either so its a good economic choice at the moment. I've already got one, but its dead thick wool so its not good in the sun (lovely on a cold night in a draughty tent though;)).

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice for me, I've never tried to make any clothing before so it'll be an adventure and any help is appreciated to make sure I don't much up too badly.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Allow half to one inch seam allowance. Decide how long you want it to be, cut material as appropriate. Measure your arms and cut as appropriate. Not much more to it, really.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Forgot about the gores- decide where you want them to start, and put them in starting from the top down to the bottom of the garment.

CFarrell

Post by CFarrell »

Sorry, not familiar with the term gores...?

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

CFarrell wrote:Sorry, not familiar with the term gores...?
the triangular sections added to the sides or front of a garment, (also the square bit under the arms, which is a gusset but is a related item) which adds width and shaping to the garment

CFarrell

Post by CFarrell »

Right, ok thanks.

ada-anne

Post by ada-anne »

(Assuming you are male?) the gores need to start no lower than in line with your navel, maybe even an inch or so higher. Young chaps whose shape is straight-up-and-down often think they don't need expansion until hip-level, but putting your gores in too low will make you look a very strange shape!

Other tip - to get the neck hole right, draw round the neck of a t-shirt that fits well and remember to cut the hole smaller than your line, it will get bigger when you hem it. Sounds obvious, but it's so easy to get it wrong :? :)