Problems with 81 year old fashion victims!

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Gail Horn

Problems with 81 year old fashion victims!

Postby Gail Horn » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:46 am

My aged father has decided that he wants to update his kit. We're based on Edward III's reign, round about 1346ish - give or take an ish. Normally he wears a long tunic type frock with knitted almost-but-not-quite jogging bottoms, on the grounds that as his frock is long, if anyone gets down there to check for authenticity, they deserve a kick! :twisted: There is also a long coat type affair to go over the top. He has one of Kats Hats to complete this fetching ensemble. He protrays a nobleman, whose underlings are having a scrap between themselves on the way to wherever the next battle is.

I have said I'll make him some braies; he has the split hose or whatever we're calling them these days; and now the problem is - what else should he wear?

He suffers badly from extremes of temperature i.e. he cannot be allowed to get too cold or too hot, so I need some suggestions as to what materials would be good for whatever it is my fashion victim could wear.

I haven't got the nerve to post this on our own forum as he reads that, strangely enough! :?

My mind not only wanders - sometimes it leaves completely!

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:14 am

Can't beat a nice thick linen. Wicks well (?) and is warm without making you sweat, sits nicely under wool. Comes in a range of authenty colours. Marvelous.
:D
Lucy

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:21 am

Hmm! May be lining his hose with that as wool makes him itch a bit. Just been over for a viewing as to what Dad has, only to discover that the split hose isn't - he's been sold WOTR footed type! Growl! I now have to hack the feet off, remove all the interesting gussets and see what's left and how to hold it all up. Although they cost £60, he won't wear them anyway as they are, so if I goof (gulp! :shock: ) Dad says it doesn't matter. I hope he's serious...

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Postby The Iron Dwarf » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:52 am

read this thread this morning before the title was edited, did think it rather odd that your father was 8 years old ( did he have an accident with a time machine )

forges, fireboxes tools and more.
http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/52487
new stuff inc chainshot + grenadoes.
visit my place and have a go

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:53 pm

Give me a break! Look at the time it was posted! I was hard at work at the time and absolutely dead on my feet... :D I hate 16 hour night shifts... :(

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Postby The Iron Dwarf » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:08 pm

no probs, just thought it was funny thats all :)

forges, fireboxes tools and more.
http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/52487
new stuff inc chainshot + grenadoes.
visit my place and have a go

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:01 pm

So did I, actually! :D

Mind you, he can behave like an 8 year old... :twisted:

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:10 pm

I thought that they had footed hosen throughout the high to late middle ages. As for holdings, were we into the doublet period by 1350 or are they still tying to the breech-girdle?

If he's a nob, would silk be appropriate. I've been told that it's very good at regulating your temprature. You can get cheap and suitable silks from Angus International if you take care over what you order.

You've got good underware, hosen, coat or gown and hat. That covers the basics.

Other things to think about are gloves, belts, boots, rings and perhaps a nice sword to show how important and noble he is.

Good luck.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:19 pm

As far as I'm aware men wore footed hose at the period mentioned. From about mid 14th cent the hose could be attached to a doublet - so I think that's up to you and him really. Silk is certainly worth thinking about - and then a long gown for warmth and looking impressive?

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Dad has said that he would rather not have feet on his hose, as it takes 2 people and him lying down to get the things off - made me laugh, anyway! - so I have unpicked those and will recut the ankles to suit. I have also removed the gussets etc and hemmed the legs to look like the ones the rest of our group wear - I don't think we're rich enough to afford the rest of the hose as a whole! :D

I have found a suitable shirt for him to wear, as long as I remove the collar, 'cos it looks odd with it on - don't know why! His overgown is a reddy orange colour and looks posh; the hat is fine; he has a sword etc, so eat your heart out, Lord Nob of Nobsville! :D

(Just mustn't forget to get the braies made, otherwise he'll be a little draughty in places... :oops: )

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:45 pm

Stirupped hosen are fine for the period too.

I don't think that shirts had collars until the 16th or 17th century.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

hazy

Postby hazy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:23 pm

I was going to say a similar thing- medieval shirts don't tend to have collars

Also, has he considered getting boots rather than shoes? If so, he could then add thick socks under them (obviously kept invisable) to keep him warmer on the older events- I know its always my feet that get cold first.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:23 pm

Simple band collars are coming in on men's shirts in the latter half of the C15th, but the sleeves still have no cuffs.

Soph :D

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

hazy

Postby hazy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:43 pm

Obviously I meant colder not older events ;-)

Return to “Costumes”