Following up on Annie's comments, I have not found any evidence for the use of separate petticoats on a tape waistband before the early 1600's for commoners only for Gentry (over farthingales particularly drum ones).
Also I am not convinced by the separate bodies and skirts for commoners in the latter part of the century. I think they are more likely to have worn a canvas bodied petticoat with a separate bodies and sleeves, or doublet bodice over it.
On the kirtle/petticoat issue it seems to be a variation of terminology with dependent on class and period and by the late 1500's kirtle is, from my research, a more Gentry term whereas petticoat is a term used for the same garment in a commoner (comparable cloth combinations and quantities would seem to confirm this.
I am assuming from your original comments that you are aiming for late 1500's so you might find the following useful. However, please bear in mind it represents my interpretation of personal research and other peoples work.
For my 1588 Tailor's wife's outfit this year I made a side lacing canvas bodied petticoat (double layer of heavy flax canvas on front, single on back and lined with unbleached linen on bodies) with a madder dyed Norwich stuff skirt lined with lightweight cream wool. It had a flat waist, busk pocket, and lacing and slits both sides. Thus the skirt seams and thus the slits were at the side. I then made a stomacher in the skirt fabric (interlined with flax canvas and lined with unbleached linen) with a shallow point which I could wear pinned to the front of the bodice.
Over this I wore a fixed sleeved front lacing gown in Stuart Peachey's russet, again without boning. The front of the bodies had a shallow point and was interlined with a double layer of the same flax canvas I used for the petticoat bodies and the back with a single layer. To stop movement in the front layers I stitched the two layers of canvas together in a the same pattern I would have used for bents. The bodies and sleeves were lined with unbleached linen and the skirts with lightweight cream wool. the fastening was soldered brass rings (sewn on for spiral lacing and obtained from Annie) and a black silk lace with riveted brass aiglets. This allowed me to my lace petticoat loosely when I wanted too and then leave the gown front open an inch or so displaying the stomacher and setting off the valuable (for the period) silk lace
I wore this outfit daily at the Kentwell Main Event for the whole three weeks and though I did wrinkle a little (particularly when sitting) it was not over hot for the role I was playing (no heavy labour involved) and the silhouette was correct.
Before I make another one I will be revisiting my pattern for the canvas bodies of my petticoat to deal with a couple of small issues.
a) The fit of the bodice needs to be improved. I am considering moving the side seams/openings on the petticoat bodies further back towards the centre back seam. I am hope that this will reduce the degree of wrinkling.
b) The slits on the petticoat's skirt gape too much for my liking, which means I would not currently be comfortable wear this petticoat under a doublet bodice. When I redo the bodice I will rearrange the knife pleats in the skirt which I hope will solve this. If it does not I will probably add a couple of hooks and eyes (also obtained from Annie). I have used this solution with a front lacing commoner's petticoat with matching lace in sleeves On this petticoat the seam is actually centre front/back as it was made in a hurry.
N.B. if you do cut a slit in the front of the skirt you can reenforce the bottom of the slit in a number of ways, either by working close buttonhole stitch at the point in a matching coloured thread or by sewing a small triangular patch behind it (best made by folding a square of fabric in half diagonally and turning the edges in before sewing it on).