C14 style knitted hood with Lirripipe

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Kajte
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:57 pm
Location: right here, right now

C14 style knitted hood with Lirripipe

Post by Kajte »

Hello All, esp fellow knitters.

While scouring the internet for new and interesting things to knit I came across this :-

http://hometown.aol.com/noramunro/Wardrobe/14chood.htm

It looks like a very interesting knit, however she can provide no real evidence for it :(, and after some brief research nor can I

I may knit it just as an expeiment, but I dont think it will be brought out at any events!

Just thought I'd share it with you

Kate
Attachments
14chood.jpg

User avatar
sally
Post Knight
Posts: 1806
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:31 pm
Location: Sunny Wales
Contact:

Post by sally »

I've seen this, fun for larp or if you fancy a hood to wear in the winter over your work coat, but there is no plausible liklihood to think anything similar was used in the middle ages. All extant knitting form the right date is entirely knit in the round, stocking stitch only and usually quite small items like caps, cushions and purses

User avatar
Kajte
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:57 pm
Location: right here, right now

Post by Kajte »

Thanks Sally, I thought as much!

May still make one, could be fun for chilly evenings after the public are off site :) And can make it in some lovely purple wool i have lol

I love knitting in the round and do as much as i can that way to avoid seams on tops etc :wink: but mainly i knit socks (never yet managed to knit any for myself tho!!)

Would the pouches just be small tubes? (Am thinking just the toe and foot of a large/wide 'sock', with 'buttonholes' round the top to thread some kind of lacing to close it) or was there a more specific pattern or design?

Kate

PS I bought one of your acorn hat kits a long time ago, and love the wooden needles that came with the kit, they are lovely to knit with and have just got better with age and use, will you be making anymore in other sizes?? K x

User avatar
Karen Larsdatter
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: C14 style knitted hood with Lirripipe

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

You can see more medieval knitting at http://larsdatter.com/knit.htm & http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/i ... &catid=266 -- but I'd recommend also joining the HistoricKnit mailing list.

User avatar
sally
Post Knight
Posts: 1806
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:31 pm
Location: Sunny Wales
Contact:

Post by sally »

Kajte wrote:
PS I bought one of your acorn hat kits a long time ago, and love the wooden needles that came with the kit, they are lovely to knit with and have just got better with age and use, will you be making anymore in other sizes?? K x
We do walnut ones in 5mm and a couple of sizes of bronze and brass ones too. I need to update the shop but they will show up there eventually :oops:

User avatar
Uncle Bulgaria
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:39 am
Location: Lincolnshire (Yellow Belly and proud of it!!)

Post by Uncle Bulgaria »

Dear All

Whilst on the subject of knitting and head gear in the same thread could I ask if anyone knows of a statute hat pattern please!

Have done the acorn hat (thanks Sally), but have exhausted my search for this pattern. I do own one but would really like to have a go and knit one.

Any help greatfully received.

UB
This life must be a test, if it were the real thing we'd have been given better instructions.

noramunro
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Post by noramunro »

A friend just pointed me here, and since I wrote the pattern in question:
sally wrote:but there is no plausible liklihood to think anything similar was used in the middle ages.
No plausible likelihood other than the mystery references in Turnau, anyway, which may amount to the same thing. 10 years on and I still haven't actually gotten paws on that book.

However, that's pretty much what I said on my website. I wrote the pattern as a creative exercise, not as a highly authentic garment. It is meant to be 14thC in style -- as opposed to "I like to muck about playing Hobbits" style -- but that's about it.

Hope there was no confusion about my intentions -- I am NOT in fact trying to put one over on people about knitted items in medieval Europe. I just wanted to knit a hood.

User avatar
sally
Post Knight
Posts: 1806
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:31 pm
Location: Sunny Wales
Contact:

Post by sally »

Uncle Bulgaria wrote:Dear All

Whilst on the subject of knitting and head gear in the same thread could I ask if anyone knows of a statute hat pattern please!

Have done the acorn hat (thanks Sally), but have exhausted my search for this pattern. I do own one but would really like to have a go and knit one.

Any help greatfully received.

UB
Use the increase/decrease formula for a basic beret, start at the inner brim with sufficient stitches for your intended headsize after fulling, knit out to brim width, knit back to starting stitch, graft the brim edges together, knit out to cap width then back in to the centre. Brush very well, full very well, brush again, shear nap if required. Thats the easiest version :)

User avatar
sally
Post Knight
Posts: 1806
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:31 pm
Location: Sunny Wales
Contact:

Post by sally »

noramunro wrote:
No plausible likelihood other than the mystery references in Turnau, anyway, which may amount to the same thing. 10 years on and I still haven't actually gotten paws on that book.
.
Its available online- can't think which site offhand but there is definately a downloadable copy out there. I'll try to have a look but iirc the translation in Turnau makes a few things a little unclear at times and the references arent always easily trackable. Been a while since i read it myself though, so I will try to have a scan through it for a reference to an extant hood.

Its a great hood- nobody is doubting that, just making sure we don't get any newbies frantically knitting themselves hoods and so on before there is demonstrable evidence for it :)

noramunro
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Post by noramunro »

sally wrote: Its available online- can't think which site offhand but there is definately a downloadable copy out there. I'll try to have a look but iirc the translation in Turnau makes a few things a little unclear at times and the references arent always easily trackable. Been a while since i read it myself though, so I will try to have a scan through it for a reference to an extant hood.
At the time I wrote all that up -- which was 10-12 years ago ... probably closer to 12, now that I think about it -- I had a handful of quoted passages courtesy of Tamar on the HistoricKnit list. There were references to knitted and fulled hoods. The problem, as you say, is questionable translation and problematic references.
just making sure we don't get any newbies frantically knitting themselves hoods and so on before there is demonstrable evidence for it :)
Right, right. I was just eager to point out that I do really say "this isn't an authentic garment" on the same page as the pattern. I've received some irate "but it isn't medieval" huffiness, as though I really were trying to sneak something by, and now I'm probably hypersensitive to it.

User avatar
Kajte
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:57 pm
Location: right here, right now

Post by Kajte »

Hello noramunro, great tosee you on here!

I'm sorry if my post was misconstrued, I love the hood, and am going to knit myself one regardless :D

Evidence for this kind of thing is so hard to find, due to the nature of the materials, there is nothing to be found as opposed to metal or pottery items!

Thank you for writing the pattern.

K x

Post Reply