18th century military jacket pattern

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas Hayman

18th century military jacket pattern

Postby Thomas Hayman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:51 am

Hi there, the 18th century has some truly nifty clothes and i decided i just have to make something. It's likely that this will take a long time and end up somewhat crap but i'd like to try anyway :-)
I'm looking for a pattern for a coat like this man is wearing. http://www.gilliesandsaxxon.com/Redcoat.htm
I'm not really sure where to start because i don't know the proper name for it and wondered if you fine people could help me :-)

Thank you for any and all help.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:27 am

The coat you've pictured is a military uniform coat (assume it's the coat you mean) sometimes called a frock coat - from the mid 18th century.

Try Townsends - (1750s men's coat pattern)

http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=40&osCsid=aac1a2d3cdbeec7ba3c45c0287147176

They, in company with most of the decent pattern suppliers, are in the states - there are others, but I don't have them bookmarked. Don't know of a decent pattern maker in the UK (unless you're talking custom made, bespoke patterns, which are (quite rightly) a lot of money).

I should point out that I don't use Townsends patterns (I cut all my own), but their delivery is good, and they're reasonably reliable (I do use them for buttons and things).

Debs

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:33 am

Thank you for that, i'll check the site and see what i can do with it.
Don't you just love 18th century military clothes :-)

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:48 am

And then,you'll need Breeches,Waistcoat,hat......And join a nice,friendly 18thcent group...Townsends do give Good service and their catalogue has some very tempting stuff..Can also recommend www.smilingfoxforgellc.com for some nice bits & bobs.
Steve

Steve of RaT

Postby Steve of RaT » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:39 pm

Thomas Hayman wrote: Don't you just love 18th century military clothes :-)

You'll need somewhere to wear the clothes when they're done..and as it happens there are several members of Lace Wars that frequent the fori (?) who could sugest somewhere (go Jacobite the coat doesn't match the eyes in the morning).

Steve

Adjutant of RaT (Rose and Thistle) :wink:

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:53 pm

Try Julie at Warwear www.warwear.co.uk she makes all sorts of kit and she's in the UK!

charliehawkman

Re: 18th century military jacket pattern

Postby charliehawkman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:33 pm

This is essentially just like a civilian coat except for the reveres the folded back sections on the front and the mariner cuffs.

Return to “Costumes”