Rabbit fur colour?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

latheaxe

Rabbit fur colour?

Post by latheaxe »

Come on then ,what colour where Rabbits in the 14th century??.Just got a load of fur coats to embellish our garb and we have a light brown, and a beige coloured one amongst them.Might seem a stupid question but you can get Rabbits in loads of different colours and fur types now.. :P

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Hilda Big Ears has a black with white speckled top and a white with black speckled tummy. Does that help?????

Ariarnia

Post by Ariarnia »

Mostly the brownish colour of the wild ones.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

Ariarnia wrote:Mostly the brownish colour of the wild ones.
That's what I'd have thought too; it's called 'agouti', and it's not really brown.
It's made up of bands of colour, starting with grey close to the skin, then yellow and finally black at the tips....and white on the belly of course.
"I never said that I was here to help."

Hinny Annie

Post by Hinny Annie »

Dave at House of de Clifford is ya man. Knows all ya need to know about furry stuff.
Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

House of De Clifford

Post by House of De Clifford »

Just spotted this, a chance to talk about something I knowl about (which makes a change on here!!!! :lol: normally I'm asking the questions! )

Rabbits came in the various colours they do now, just as squirrels did when we imported them.

The wild british brown rabbit we see today are an overspill from the Warrens set up by the Bishop of Winchester and the Royal Warren in Guildford 1208.( English fur trade in the late middle ages - London Record Society). There were many poachers!!!, and some inevitably got away.

At this time we were importing rabbit skins from Ireland aswell as northern europe, who had the different colours and mixes we have today.

So really anything goes!

Even grey squirrel skins were imported from Russia from the 13th Century onwards until we got our own!

Miranda
House of De Clifford
Suppliers of ethical fur and hides to Re- enactment, Film, Tv and Theatre.
http://www.houseofdeclifford.co.uk

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

Back on the squirrel "hobby horse" again - to be pedantic, grey COLOURED squirrel skins were imported - the grey squirrel has a specific meaning today and couldn't have been imported until the colonisation of North America.
Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Re: Rabbit fur colour?

Post by Type16 »

latheaxe wrote:Come on then ,what colour where Rabbits in the 14th century??.Just got a load of fur coats to embellish our garb and we have a light brown, and a beige coloured one amongst them.Might seem a stupid question but you can get Rabbits in loads of different colours and fur types now.. :P
Suggest you look at Easter cards. Yellows, pinks, blue .............. and if you discover how they lay such large eggs, let me know :lol:
Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors