Cotton in period

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Ariarnia

Post by Ariarnia »

As an aside, as has been mentioned, Janet Burton is one of our lectures and the personal tutor of the head of our group (dan).

He has been discussing with her the matters raised on this thread, and she, as it turns out, is quite close friends with David Nicolle.

She has provided us with his email address, and we have been corresponding with this gentleman for a few weeks now.

David Nicolle thinks cotton should be available for higher ranks in limited amounts, and also, as an aside, thinks leather armour should be accepted as armour and sees 'no logical reason why it should not.'

He is an interesting gentleman, not one for explaining his opinions a great deal, and seems to think everyone should know whichever obscure text or find he is mentioning in passing, so it is hard going to find why he thinks these things, but if I get any more conclusive sources I will post them here.

As an example of his difficultness, he pointed out the black leather greaves on the list of a king in the 12th century, when responding to a question about the colour leather could be dyed, but didn’t tell us who.

Eric the well read

Post by Eric the well read »

Ariarnia wrote:leather armour should be accepted as armour and sees 'no logical reason why it should not.'.
There we go - proved beyond doubt :wink: :roll:
Regards
Eric

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Eric the well read wrote:
Ariarnia wrote:leather armour should be accepted as armour and sees 'no logical reason why it should not.'.
There we go - proved beyond doubt :wink: :roll:
Regards
Eric

Clearly.

Didn't you know that opinion is primary source evidence.

Oh, of which there isn't really much (p.s. evidence that is) for leather armour in large amounts, unless you're in china*

ok, taking 'leather' to mean 'animal skin', which in china would have been rhino skin... though I suppose under that criteria, technically the aztecs and mixtecs wearing coats made from the skins of defeated enemies would count...
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Dave B wrote:Do you mean more info about the use 2000 years ago, or just in general?

the 2000 years ago bit I guess is pliny's natural history that describes uses of alum in book 15. Never read it though.

Definitely was used for fireproofing fabrics. not sure if it is today 'foamite' the origional fire extinguisher foam for oil and chemical fires is made with Alum, and fire retardand insulating tape has powdered alum in it.
Ahhh, interesting thanks. I'm looking for more specification regarding how it was used. LIke "Take 3 lbs of purest alum and dissolve into a hoghead of water" or whatever. Otherwise fiddling about with it will take a lot longer.
Maybe I'll do some at Tatton. I've got plenty of spare bits of cloth.