Rings for lacing

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Cecily

Rings for lacing

Postby Cecily » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:22 pm

Does anyone know whether there's a supplier of small metal rings suitable for lacing through? I can't get curtain rings the right size. I've experimented with plastic etc (even mail rings) and have worked out that they shouldn't be more than 1cm external diameter; similar to the size you'd get with wire wrapped around a standard pencil. They need to be soldered not 'butted' and shouldn't mark the fabric. Any suggestions welcome.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:17 pm

wilkinsons.

woodworking washers - tha smallest size

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Hraefn

Postby Hraefn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:02 am

Wilkys as stated above or if you have a decent old fashioned hardware shop. Solid stamped out washers in steel or brass work for me but as they're stamped they can need a once over with a small file to take off any rough/sharp edges that can wear at the thread. or get someone to make you up a load by wrapping wire round a dowel to get the size then cutting and soldering...pain in the bum though, pends if it's ultra orfo' 'stand off' scale or just a look.

H.

That's my score to date. Three. I haven't killed anybody for years, and don't intend to ever again.'

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:54 am

I make them.
Maggot of the Medieval Tailor's Assistant has advised on authentie/practical size but as they are hand made I can make them any size you want. They are made from wire and soldered so no sharp edges and no gaps.
I can't compete with Wilkinson's on price - they are 6 for £1 - but I give better customer care :wink:
Annie
http://www.anniethepedlar.com

Cecily

Postby Cecily » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:13 pm

Thanks everyone, that's really useful. I shall go find some rings and get stitching, lucet-ing and eventually lacing! Cecily

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:08 am

Hi Cecily - the PM flaggy thing didn't work. I've only just read your message to me. I've PMed you back but in case the flaggy thing is broke for you too I'm just telling you....(this message is like a round - go back to the begining and start again :lol: )
Annie

Ben_Fletcher

Postby Ben_Fletcher » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:48 pm

I'd like to highly recomend the Bass lathing rings from here

http://whichcraft.info/newcat/catalogue271.htm

As used to fasten both of Megs wedding dresses for the big day in September.

Nice and smooth for sewing, no join to cut the threads, available in brass or silver...

Don't bother running, you'll only die tired.

http://deeds-of-arms.org.uk/

The Following link contains rude grownup words and humour in text form. Please do not click if easily offended.
http://www.sfwchan.com/pics/13608937.gif

auldMotherBegg

Postby auldMotherBegg » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:52 am

Erm... BOTH of Megs's wedding dresses? :?

Caithlinn

Postby Caithlinn » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:31 pm

Yep, both! Underdress and gown....

and I can actually recommend them as well..... have used them for a few years now, very nice looking and just big enough for a "standard" aiglet to still fit through (with a silk lace, however, so not sure what a woolen or linen lace would add in bulk...)

Caithlinn :)

Plus faict douceur que violenz

Return to “Costumes”