aiglets

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

tailordrews

aiglets

Post by tailordrews »

Sorry i i have misspelled the word. I am talking about the ends of lacing strings for corsets. I make 18th century corsets, and wondered if anybody here have any idea what they used for the ends of the lacing string. Did they use aiglets like 16th and 17th century?
Where could i buy such aiglets?
Thanks.
Tailordrews
The world is in need of beauty! Embroider!

On the eight day, god created costumes and reenactors!

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

They were similar to aiglets, but just a strip of brass rolled over the end of the lace. Annie the Pedlar makes wonderful aiglets of all kinds, and brass pins for pinning clothes together and ............. and....... She's very very clever.

tailordrews

Post by tailordrews »

:D
Hi shadowcat.
That is great, ill ask her then. Now that i soon will finish the yellow dress, i just as well could order some for the stays and also pins for pinning the stomacher. I think Alexia whom i make the dress for, will apreciate this.
Many thanks

Bjarne
The world is in need of beauty! Embroider!

On the eight day, god created costumes and reenactors!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Shadowcat forgot to say that Annie is also very wonderful.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Not only is she very wonderful, she's a charming and patient lady, who has always managed to make whatever I ask - no matter how obscure. (She disagrees, but ignore her!)

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

and she is excellent with children, for hour after day after week!!

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Annie is a marvellous, marvellous woman, and doesn't even get scared when we order her hand made hooks and eyes by the hundred.

Debs

PS "aiglet" is actually one of the correct spellings (there are about six in English :) )
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Annie the Pedlar

Post by Annie the Pedlar »

Oh I've just read your posts. I've gone all red. Am I blushing, going throughthe dreaded hot flushes or have I got a temperature (I caught a bug off one of those 'lovely' children)?

Would you like to hear a funny story?
Every year Nigel asks me to make his special hooks for Debbie.
They need a special size of wire.
I can only get it from one place.
I drive the shopkeeper mad beccause I always ask for more than he has in stock so he ends up taking a month to supply me.
This year I thought I would be clever, and get the wire in in advance.
I did.
Then Bea asked me for needles and I thoughtlessly chopped the whole lot up to make needles.
So Nigel asked for the hooks. Where on earth was the wire? I'd forgotton I'd chopped it up.
So off I went to the poor man to ask for more wire, which he didn't have in stock etc etc etc.
It came. Nigel got his hooks.
Magot gets in touch. She wants Medieval lacing rings made out of ....guess which size wire...... the one I've just chopped up to make Nigel's hooks....

This is the chaos that reigns behind the scenes and explains why sometimes your order takes a little while to come..............
the record at the moment stands at 3 years..........
so Vicky, 1 year for your gown sounds quite reasonable, doesn't it?

Tailordrews - I hasten to add I usually get aiglets out within a week.

Tuppence - 1 aiglet, 2 aiglette, 3 aglet, 4 tag end, 5 point, 6?

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

HURRAH! We like Annie the Pedlar. We should make her go on Strictly come dancing. Then we could give her 9.8 scores across the board.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Aiglets, who makes cylindrical ones? Years ago I bought gold and silver-coloured ones to see what happened. Well I sold them. Yippee. Now I have someone who wants 200 gold ones. I have asked what length and diameter. But blow me, can I remember who made the last lot I bought? It was in a tent at an event, not a market. Does this narrow it down?

Annie, I know you are too busy to do it. Can someone make a suggestion please. Ta.

Vicky

Post by Vicky »

Sorry, not about aiglets, but adding to the 'Annie is fab' crew. My gown was well worth the wait (a wait that was mostly my fault anyway) - and I'm going to be wearing it this weekend. :D
Going to be in touch about some more stuff soon...

Onto aiglets - I think Petty Chapman may sell machine made cylindrical ones, not 100% sure though.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

Frances,
a mate has made some out of small bore brass tube he got from a model shop & crimped them on. Seamles cylindrical!
Same place sell aluminium tube (stretching authenticity!) and copper tube.
Very cheap. 10"ish for about £1.
I have to say that I prefer the pointy style ones.
Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Annie the Pedlar

Post by Annie the Pedlar »

The ones the customer needs are fat cylinders and decorated. If she'll have them plain I can knock them off in no time. Oh I forgot the word cheap..........my fancy ones ain't cheap. I have to do everything by hand which bumps it towards real jewellery prices.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

Yes, thats one thing you can always count on. Annie's goods are always quality & come at a fair price.
I shall be getting pointy points from her. Like her style. Cylinders are not for me.
Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors