Headwear - beaded pins?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Frances Perry

Headwear - beaded pins?

Post by Frances Perry »

I have been at several markets where brass hat pins are for sale with glass beads on the end of them.

So far, I've ony found a few internet shops which sell plain brass pins - does anyone know if there are any shops which sell bead pins?

Suppose ~I should also ask if there is any evidence for beaded pins, or whether plain brass ones would be better...

Thanks,

Fran
http://www.medievalartandwoodcraft.com

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.” Achille Marozzo, 1536

Lady Cecily

Post by Lady Cecily »

I don't believe there is a lot (if any) pins with glass bead heads in the medieval period. It could be a reenactorism. Do some searches for copper alloy* pins in the

Portable Antiqiuties Website

and you will struggle to find any. I didn't. I suppose it's possible - I just know that most pins have copper alloy heads.

*copper alloy - brass or bronze
Caroline

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Post by Neibelungen »

See Museum of London Dress Accessories 1150-1450 page 297-304.

It gives a general indication that they were relatively uncommon in the earlier 11th to 13th C but as the numbers of pins in use increased they were supplanted in the 14th and 15th C by the massive use of plain wire bound pins, but never dissapeared entierly.

The general indication was that these type of pins were probably high status items rather than a common pin style, since the decorative workmanship and fineness of the wire was much higher than general pins of that earlier date.

Lady Cecily

Post by Lady Cecily »

Fair doos - I really must pick that book up sometime. I didn't rule them out entirely :D
Caroline

Frances Perry

Post by Frances Perry »

Thank you very much for your help - sounds like I'm better off not going for beads, and playing safe with coiled head brass pins.

:D
http://www.medievalartandwoodcraft.com

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.” Achille Marozzo, 1536

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Lady Cecily wrote:I don't believe there is a lot (if any) pins with glass bead heads in the medieval period. It could be a reenactorism. Do some searches for copper alloy* pins in the

and you will struggle to find any. I didn't. I suppose it's possible - I just know that most pins have copper alloy heads.

Have you tried searching for Latten? I've got a sneeking suspicion that it wasa medieval catch-all for most copper alloys.
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

oakenshield

Post by oakenshield »

try here if they dont have them they will makem for you:)
http://www.6of1.biz/

Lady Cecily

Post by Lady Cecily »

Colin Middleton wrote:
Lady Cecily wrote:I don't believe there is a lot (if any) pins with glass bead heads in the medieval period. It could be a reenactorism. Do some searches for copper alloy* pins in the

Have you tried searching for Latten? I've got a sneeking suspicion that it wasa medieval catch-all for most copper alloys.
But this site is run by archaeologists who call all brass or bronze, copper alloy or CU for short.
Caroline

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

Kay Rouse kay.kit@talk2l.com keeps them in stock and will post, they can be found at TORM easily on a couple of stalls -beaded or plain