Separate hoods in the dark ages - a re-enactorism?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Maerwynn

Separate hoods in the dark ages - a re-enactorism?

Post by Maerwynn »

I've been thinking about making myself a hood for my Saxon kit for a while, but when I got round to looking at my books I found no evidence at all for them. Anybody know of any?

I mean the separate hood, the over-the-head-and-shoulder-cape thingy, rather than a hood attached to clothes like a monk's habit, or a mantle.

Maerwynn
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

kael

Post by kael »

orkney (st andrews i think) and several similar ones in denmark found in bogs.

I have no idea if there are saxon or 'celt' finds.

Lady Wolfshead

Post by Lady Wolfshead »

An article on the Orkney hood:

http://www.archaeologyonline.org/Docume ... eyHood.pdf

The hood is beautiful and a real work of art. It resides in the National Museums Scotland, Edinburgh but occasionally goes back to Orkney for exhibitions.

auldMotherBegg

Post by auldMotherBegg »

An excellent description of how to build a simple loom, as well. Pity the piccies can't show the actual working of the thing! I can't make out how the sheds are created. That middle horizontal stick (on the forked pieces) is too wide to go behind and in front of the loom uprights. And surely those weights on poles would prevent the warp from over- and under-lapping each other. (Does any of that make sense?)

Also, I wondered... is a shuttle used for the weft, or is the needle threaded (shown in the photo below the loom) the way the weaving was done?

Help, please? :oops:

BTW, I am totally impressed with the re-created hood!!!

Attilla the Bun

Post by Attilla the Bun »

It's a warp-weighted loom, set up in that picture to weave tabby.
http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/artic ... /WARP.HTML
The heddle rod just goes out onto the forked sticks to create one shed, then back against the uprights whilst the angle of the loom provides the counter-shed. The diagram on the website shows how the respective warp threads are grouped on weights behind and in front of the shed rod at the bottom to make the counter-shed work.

What carries the weft seems to be a bit of a moot point, there not being any definite evidence - some people make a cone of thread or use a wooden shuttle, but I heard the other day of someone just taking the whorl off a spindle of spun thread and using that as a shuttle, which sounds like a plan
Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill