Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Eric Flint, Baen Books Ltd. ISBN 0671319728. If you have ever wondered what an M60 would do to a Tercio, or if a kevlar flak vest would stand up to a croat sabre then have a read of this. It's fiction of the alternate universe style with an American town from the mid-west dropped into the middle of the 30 Years War. My only grudge is that although the author has gone to great lenghts in his after word to expliain that part of the reason for him making the heros a bunch of hillbillies was because of the sterotyping that goes against such decent hardworking and god fearing American stoke, what does he then do, make ALL the bad guys Roman Catholics. go figure.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

Hey Marcus,...It's the TYW...of course the bad guys are Catholic!....but seriously,Flint does say it's the Catholic RULERS who are the "Evil Empire"....in fact a lot of Grantville's population come to be Down-time Catholics...You may gather I'm a big fan.............
Steve
"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Going to have to be a dissenting voice on this one I'm afraid. The premise is interesting but using the Thirty Years War as a forum for promoting 'American Values' is just too much for me. I've got a fair bit of what if fiction and for various reasons, 1632 doesn't rate as highly for me as say Harry Turtledove's Ruled Britannia or SM Stirling's The Peshawar Lancers. I suppose it's the C20 people sorting out the past premise I have difficulty with.
"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

I never bothered before with the comment about all the bad guys being cathoilics. surely it's one of perception. To a Spanish/French/Italian/German catholic it's those heretic, upstart rebellious Protestents and their interfering invasive English/scotish/danish?Swedish allies who are the rotten cads. To a White Anglo-Saxon Protestent from the good ol' us of a then those papists need to be taught a lesson.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

You're right about perception....Up there in the confused mental picture of Smithfield Martyrs,Inquisition,etc. ,Gustavus ranks with Cromwell & William the Silent as one of the Heroes!
One of the things that fascinates me me,is why,(after slaughtering each other merrily for over 100 years),the religous thing really goes on the back-burner about 1700?...Maybe that's why it's called the Age of Enlightenment?
Steve
"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song