Anne Neville: queen to Richard III.

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Anne Neville: queen to Richard III.

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Micheal Hicks, ISBN 0752436635. Not as good as his take on Richard III itself which I have begun to read. I have his biography of Edward V on reserve to read. Poor wee thing so she was.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Ellen Gethin

Post by Ellen Gethin »

In The Sunne in Splendour, by Sharon Penman, there's a bit where Anne Neville hides out in an inn, disguised as a servant, and Richard comes to rescue her. "That's a bit far-fetched," I thought, and then saw in the notes that it was absolutely backed up by documentary evidence.
"Take wrong turns, talk to strangers, open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing."
JimmyB27, absolutewrite

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Hmmm, best not read this book then. (May shatter the illusion.)
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Ellen Gethin

Post by Ellen Gethin »

Someone I know in the Ricardian Society says the Sharon Penman book is practically required reading. Needless to say, she suggests that Richard had nothing to do with the deaths of the Princes in the Tower.
"Take wrong turns, talk to strangers, open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing."
JimmyB27, absolutewrite

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Please do not be getting me wrong. I enjoyed the Sunne in Splendour as well, but it is a historical novel and all novels are, well largely made up to entertain. My poor wee thing comment was in irony. Ann Neville was able to decide for herself whose custody she went into following the Battle of Tewkesbury, supported her sister and brother-in-law in disinheriting her mother and did not consider the illegality and immorality of marrying Richard a problem when she needed him to support her against the Duke of Clarence. Oh and the idea of romance is nonsense. This was buisness not pleasure.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!