Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Annis
Post Knight

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Post by Annis »

I found it pretty amazing, well written too and it got me thinking. Not a book to read at leisure otherwise you can get lost because you do have to think about it. It takes you throught various emotions too. very captivating.As i got towards the end everything fell into place.
5 * rating
Anyone else read this book? what did YOU think? Is it better than Dan Brown?
"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

nerf herder

Post by nerf herder »

EVERYTHING is better than Dan "plaigarise-most-of-it-then-make-all-the-rest-up-on-the-fly" Brown.

Nerfy
"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gonna be there...."

Annis
Post Knight

Post by Annis »

I've never read any of his books, and I've never planned to.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Annis wrote:I've never read any of his books, and I've never planned to.
Good for you. I suggest reading at least one of them in a few years, to see what all the fuss was about, and how to write badly.

Annis
Post Knight

Post by Annis »

it would have to be from a library cos itll be a waste of money if i hate it! lol

Hobbitstomper

Post by Hobbitstomper »

Read it.

It was okay but I wasn't keen on the ending. Well written though.

Stomper
(Copy going free if anyone wants it)

Abigail

Post by Abigail »

Brilliant brilliant brilliant book with a very disappointing ending, it was one that kept me reading till about 3 in the morning! MUCH better than Mr Brown's effort.

Ellen Gethin

Post by Ellen Gethin »

I'm halfway through Labyrinth at the moment - but I nearly didn't get beyond the first chapter.
I trained as an archaeologist - and the unprofessional behaviour of Alice made me want to throw the book across the room - and what were the professionals doing, leaving a volunteer unsupervised for all that time?
However, I persevered, and was gratified to see Alice getting the telling off she so thoroughly deserved later on.
I'm enjoying it - the historical parts seem to be well researched, there's an understated correspondence between the characters in the two periods, and it's interesting working out which side everyone is on - and it holds together logically, too, unlike DB.

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

The DVC is one of those books that I really enjoyed reading at the time but afterwards it seemed very mechanical and it is not by any stretch of the imagination great literature. McDonalds in print form basically.
die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

AnnieS

Post by AnnieS »

I found Labrynth a cracking adventure story and the historical context stimulating. I'd just got back from the South of France when I read it (to watch a rugby match near Perpignan). Wished I had known more of the areas history, would have liked to visit Carcassonne.

Definitely much better written than DVC, though I enjoyed reading that as well. The movie was dire! Some of Dan Browns other books are better written and a better read e.g. Digital Fortress.