The Plantagenets - 'The Devil's Brood' - BBC2

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Phoenix Rising

The Plantagenets - 'The Devil's Brood' - BBC2

Postby Phoenix Rising » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Watched this last night and found it to be well put together, with a presenter who's voice didn't drone or grate on me. The content was interesting and informative whilst not heavy going, with a few things explained and some things I didn't know.

Felt altogether that the programme shed a lot of light on this, England's longest ruling royal dynasty, and now looking forward to the next instalment.

Henri De Ceredigion

Re: The Plantagenets - 'The Devil's Brood' - BBC2

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:40 pm

I liked it as well, especially as it explained why Beckett was killed (something I didn't know about) and also added to the information that Horrible Histories did explaining Henry's abasement (the term for having to commit religious apologies for killing Thomas in the first place)

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 pm

It was a good programme even if it didn't tell me much I didn't already know. One thing puzzles me though. How did Richard I become such an "English" hero given his disdain for England?

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:50 pm

He took lots of English knights with him on crusade and was very, very good at selling himself to the public.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:39 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:He took lots of English knights with him on crusade and was very, very good at selling himself to the public.

Not to the English public he wasn't. He was hardly ever here and said he sell London if could find a buyer. Whilst he was thought as a great chivalrous warrior and a champion of Christendom his reputation and an "English" hero seems to have grown up after he died.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:45 pm

Simon Atford wrote:It was a good programme even if it didn't tell me much I didn't already know. One thing puzzles me though. How did Richard I become such an "English" hero given his disdain for England?

Walter Scott's Ivanhoe and Hollywood mostly I suspect. Though there were also embellished romances and songs about him kicking around much earlier.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:24 pm

John Waller wrote:
Simon Atford wrote:It was a good programme even if it didn't tell me much I didn't already know. One thing puzzles me though. How did Richard I become such an "English" hero given his disdain for England?

Walter Scott's Ivanhoe and Hollywood mostly I suspect. Though there were also embellished romances and songs about him kicking around much earlier.

Probably yes. I've always had a slightly perverse sense of sympathy for John. Bad as we was he was at lest King of England rather than out of it.

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”