Astrology in Medieval Manuscripts.

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Astrology in Medieval Manuscripts.

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Spohie Page, the British Library 2002 isbn 0-7123-4744-5
I don't believe in astrology but I am studying it and starting to practice it as my medieval forebeares did. This is an amazing book and I would be happy with it just as a source for pictoral evidence let alone being a clear and consise explanation of astrology and the various ways in which it was used.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Michal

Re: Astrology in Medieval Manuscripts.

Post by Michal »

I like the whole series "... in manuscripts" by the British Library. Some great pictures + plus excellent starting point for further reading and all of them are on amazon for peanuts. 5pound or even less each.

Henri De Ceredigion

Re: Astrology in Medieval Manuscripts.

Post by Henri De Ceredigion »

This brings up the topic of ASTRONOMY (i.e the study of the actual night sky as opposed to just the constellations) and I would like to know whether by the mid 1620's, people were beginning to formulate opinions on what caused things such as solar and lunar eclipses? The reason I ask is that according to a computer programme I have there was an annular eclipse (as seen in the picture below) across vast parts of England (Plymouth, Newton Abbot, Yeovil, Luton, Cambridge and Norwich) on May 21st 1621 and another one that could be seen from everywhere (bar the South East of England and East Anglia) on Christmas Eve 1601 (i.e within an average 17th century lifespan)