Favorite Historica, Period Drama/Action Films.

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:29 pm

Botwot wrote:...the bet at the siege of La Rochelle...

You realise you're getting old when, at the Dover Castle gig last month, you suggest having 'breakfast on the bastion' to your comrades and they all look at you blankly......... :cry:

GOK

Postby GOK » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Brendan C wrote:The Lion in Winter, starring Peter O'Toole, along with a superb Katherine Hepburn as Eleanor of Aquitaine and an incredibly young Anthony Hopkins, Timothy Dalton and Nigel Terry.

An amazing film - shows just how insanely dangerous the Angevin Court of the late 12th century was

Brendan C

I'll see your LiW and raise you A Man For All Seasons! :)

Regarding the whole entertaining romp v. alleged historical film, I have to agree about KT, MitIM, Musketeers etc - they're just fun... pure and simple. OTOH, I absolutely loathed Kingdom of Heaven on so many levels (Jeremy Irons was the only good thing about it, IMO). Ditto Braveheart, Troy, King Arthur...and almost any other Hollywood offering, which claims to be 'true'.

The Libertine was a great film - possibly one of JD's best...unlike Public Enemies, which apart from being inaccurate and taking yet more liberties with real historical happenings, really didn't seem to do anything for Depp's ability as an actor. Very disappointing.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:22 pm

I don't watch a film or read a historical novel for in depth knowledge but for entertainment.
Sadly I have real problems not letting my knowledge get beyond that. That's why I have the greatest problem with books and films that claim to be "accurate" then those just use the past as a setting and then play for fun.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:18 pm

Of course its the fun & entertainment factor that is the main point of the thread rather than the accuracy subject.

That said many films that claim to portray a more accurate image of something do tend to fall down. Yes, generally many modern films are better in the accuracy stakes than the standard 1950's style of swashbuckling historical bassed romps, but still along way to go. But as I say, not the point of the thread. And considering the effort many go into they still fall down, which is a shame.

Entertainment & / or as an impetus to make us read up on the actual history of an event, then a film has done its job. But even I am getting Off topic now.

Aelfcyn

Postby Aelfcyn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:13 pm

My favourites are:
Kingdom of Heaven - captured the atmosphere of the period IMO, though it does go on a bit, and of course Bloom is nice to look at

A Knight's Tale - fun, funny, entertaining, which was the whole point of it

The Three Musketeers
( 70's version ) - so much fun, lively, colourful, humorous, well acted...and the little mutterings of various extras was class.."he's torn our carpet !" and "ow ! Has she put on weight....my bloody arm !"

The Abduction Club
- I picked it up for £3 a while back and I've watched it several times. It's perfect if you're in the mood for watching something with hot men in frock coats and long hair in, plus the scenery is awesome, the soundtrack rather nice, and it has a happy ending. Well worth the pittance I paid for it !

King Arthur - I know everyone hates this and rightly so, but seriously, Tristan rocked. It is worth watching just for the scene of him dancing across the battlefield, Oriental sword in hand, lol. Oh, and Lancelot's shiny black armour......and the Saxons attacking North of the Wall......having apparently got there on foot.......funny, but not for the right reasons.

Eric the Viking - hilarious, wrong......

I used to enjoy Bravepants but I won't watch it now and am thinking of suing Gibson for slander ( he painted Hammer Ed in such an appalling light it makes my teeth hurt ! )

And the 80s Robin of Sherwood - loved it ! Even though all the ruins in it are from castles that weren't built yet, hahaha

Moll Flanders ( 1996 ) - only version I've scene, but I enjoyed it ( men in frock coats and long hair again )

Know what I really hated ? The Tudors. What a pile of poo.

GOK

Postby GOK » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:34 pm

Not seen The Tudors (nor The Other Boleyn Girl - either version) but I have to agree with you vis a vis Robin of Sherwood! On the subject of delightful nonsense, what about Cadfael then? Of course, I can't help but tell him very loudly that what he's got in his hand is not cleavers, or whatever other 'rare' flower or herb it's supposed to be!

I'd forgotten all about Erik - heheh! By the same token, am I allowed to venture Blackadder? LOL!

More....

Dangerous Beauty is another I'd forgotten (about Veronica Franco).

Still in Venice, Casanova....although admittedly it's mostly because a) it's set in my father's home city (and is therefore very dear to me), and b) David Tennant! What more reason would I need?!!

The Great Escape - 'nuff said!

Upstairs Downstairs. Actually, whilst the acting may have been a bit pants at times, I do think it's still a very good series (well, six series).

Rome (both series) - I'm sure Dan will go to great pains to tell me how rubbish it was but I loved it!

Finally (for now), I'd like to add Brideshead to the list . I love it!

Never heard of the Abduction Club but I may have to now see if I can rent it!

Oh hang on...

Am currently liking Desperate Romantics on BBC2. It may not be entirely accurate in all areas but it's much fun. And since my father was a Rossetti, I have more than a passing interest! :lol:

Actually, this thread has got me thinking; what do we classify historical as? A film or programme about historical events and people, or ones which happen to be set during a period of history, with real events as the backdrop but not the focus?

Donald_McQuag

Postby Donald_McQuag » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:53 pm

I had to sit through all three years of Gettysburg.....then the Bloke tried to make me watch War and Peace.....i would rather stick bayonets in me eyes.....

oh I forgot Cold Mountain - love it, real epic.

yes, get the Abduction Club ! :lol: Apparently, it seems this sort of thing actually went on at that time, and a fair bit of it too, which I hadn't realised.

Hmmm...Blackadder. Queenie rocked. "Percy ? Either you can shut up, or you can have your head chopped off." hahaha

Cleavers ? Rare ?? HAHAHAHAHA

*EDIT* - this is the other half of Donald 'cos he left himself logged in, the twonk

Cabbots Company (Recruit)

GOK

Postby GOK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:25 am

Donald_McQuag wrote:
Hmmm...Blackadder. Queenie rocked. "Percy ? Either you can shut up, or you can have your head chopped off." hahaha

Is it wrong to admit that sometimes when K questions something I've said, I just give him the look and ask, "Who's Queen?"?!

Cleavers ? Rare ?? HAHAHAHAHA

I know, I know! I really do think that if you're going to give your main character a very definite skill, then you should at least research it! And if you're going to make a film/prog then, instruct your set dresser to use the right props!

And.....I suspect that lots of folk in Shewsbury must be laudanum addicts due to the amount of poppy juice he freely dishes out! Got a toothache? Have some poppy juice. Troubled by nightmares? Have some poppy juice. Husband boffing the servants? Have some poppy juice. Not sure whether to side with Stephen or Matilda? Have some poppy juice! :roll:

I think his alleged herbalism is just a front for his narcotics operations; Cadfael - The Pusher of Shrewsbury! And does it not strike you as odd that there are so many deaths? He's clearly set himself up as a detective to throw the scent off himself and his dodgy batches of heroin tea!

wulfenganck

Postby wulfenganck » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:59 am

The Advocate or maybe The Hour of the Pig which was its title on the german dvd; with Colin Firth, Ian Holm, Nicol Williamson and and and...superb actors, great story and by far the most authentic look on a film I have ever seen - not only or late 15th century, but in general....
For any 15th ct-reeanctor with even the slightest interest in movies an absolute must-see!

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:33 am

wulfenganck wrote:The Advocate or maybe The Hour of the Pig which was its title on the german dvd; with Colin Firth, Ian Holm, Nicol Williamson and and and...superb actors, great story and by far the most authentic look on a film I have ever seen - not only or late 15th century, but in general....
For any 15th ct-reeanctor with even the slightest interest in movies an absolute must-see!

If you've only seen the DVD of 'The Advocate' I strongly recommend tracking down an old VHS copy of "Hour of the Pig" which is longer, bawdier and funnier.

"I never said that I was here to help."

wulfenganck

Postby wulfenganck » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:43 am

Medicus Matt wrote:
wulfenganck wrote:The Advocate or maybe The Hour of the Pig which was its title on the german dvd; with Colin Firth, Ian Holm, Nicol Williamson and and and...superb actors, great story and by far the most authentic look on a film I have ever seen - not only or late 15th century, but in general....

If you've only seen the DVD of 'The Advocate' I strongly recommend tracking down an old VHS copy of "Hour of the Pig" which is longer, bawdier and funnier.
Thanks for the hint, will do so!!

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”