robin hood

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

gallois

Postby gallois » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:08 pm

gallois wrote:Just found this thread and I cant believe you lot are debating the inaccuracies of dress and armour in this latest Robin Hood series. This isnt Auntie Beebs historical drama department...its more like Doctor Who. ITS PURE ENTERTAINMENT guys!
I have been an archer since Lorne Green ( how many of you can remember him?) Ive even seen Robin played by Errol Flynn and Douglas Fairbanks Snr. This new series is designed to sex him up a bit. There is so much rubbish portrayed that you have to suspend disbelief or its not watchable. The reason that the Norman soldiers are wearing mail coifs that cover their lower faces is because that way they can be killed in one episode and reappear in the next and nobody knows! Saves a fortune in extras fees!!
I dont agree with Robins bow or quiver regardless of how long he spent at the crusades the benefits of the English longbow in speed, accuracy and ease of manufacture far outway the recurve Eastern bows.
I have, in demonstrations for the public fired two arrows simultaneously but it does not require the fletchings to be bitten off! but the bow has to be held horizontally making aim a lottery. I usually hit the butt with one arrow, rarely with both.
When talking about Brother Tuck dont forget that in the last series Robin had a middle eastern girl in the band....she was cute...Id definately go outlaw for her!!
Id be interested to know at what point a myth becomes so ingrained in our culture that it is frowned upon to change, add or remove some of the details. Isnt there something about that at the end of the Bible??????????

Just re read my post and realised I said Lorne Green...he was Pa Cartwright in Bonanza I meant Richard Greene in The adventures of Robin Hood.
Oh and incidentally I live in a country that calls him 'Robin de Bois' well wood sounds a bit like Hood!!

"A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.
The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
And a foreign king for a mark!"

knight1066

Postby knight1066 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:15 pm

I quite like this version of Robin Hood for a bit of escapism on a Saturday evening before getting blathered down the local............I agree with Gallois the show does not have to be historically accurate to be enjoyable and I like childish things as I grow more childish the older I get.

However I also agree with me old mate Brendan, "Robin of Sherwood" was definately the better version...........although the new (But now sadly dead) Maid Marian is a much sexier maiden.

Death before dishonour...... The battlefield awaits
Mortis Priusquam Inhonesto Acies Exspecto

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:20 am

What the hell has this got to do with Robin Hood? :shock:

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:20 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:What the hell has this got to do with Robin Hood? :shock:

It's just thinly disguised spam, that's all.

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:57 am

Spam gone, carry on chaps

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:18 am

Ah, thought I was having a mature moment.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”