robin hood

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

aidanwallis

robin hood

Postby aidanwallis » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:14 pm

robin hood starting tonight wonder if it will be any better then last time . haha :twisted:

15c silkwomens household
http://www.thehousehold.org
Displays of Historic Barbering techniques 1300-1600

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:20 pm

You could always watch Primeval or just wait for the ireland vs Bulgaria match on Sky.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

CFarrell

Postby CFarrell » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:51 pm

As amusing and anachronistic as it ever was!

aidanwallis

Postby aidanwallis » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:40 am

isnt that how it was :wink:

15c silkwomens household

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:17 am

Hooray I missed it :)

Also managed not to Sky+ it 8)

Must remember to miss it on iPlayer as well :wink:

Malvoisin

Postby Malvoisin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:53 pm

The best out-of-season TV panto there is. :D

I notice all the Norman soldiers have had an armour upgrade since last year. No more sparkly acrylic coifs and hauberks, it's all proper mail! :o Oh the expense!

Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

CFarrell

Postby CFarrell » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:22 pm

No if only they could look at though they know how to wear it, and haven't just had it thrown on them 2 minutes ago because someone else didn't turn up and they were standing around doing nothing at the time.

Sir_John_Thomas

Postby Sir_John_Thomas » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:22 pm

Its not that plastic mail that LARPers use is it?

"God said love thy neighbour as untoo thy self, unless they are Turkish, in which case, KILL THE B**TARDS!"

Richard IV before leaving on crusade

http://community.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Th ... fSkirbeck/

CFarrell

Postby CFarrell » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:02 pm

Given the quantity it must be, I can't see the BBC splurging on that many chain shirts and coifs. Honestly, whenever I see them wave the swords about I half expect to see them bend cause their made of rubber, but that has yet to happen so perhaps they use metal swords after all. :wink:

EDIT: Perhaps someone more in the know could tell me, exactly how inaccurate are they being in portraying a black man as Friar Tuck?

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:14 am

CFarrell wrote:Perhaps someone more in the know could tell me, exactly how inaccurate are they being in portraying a black man as Friar Tuck?

There were no Friars in England in the 12th century, regardless of skin colour. The addition of the Tuck character reflect the 14th and 15th century origins of the original ballads. HTV's Robin of Sherwood tried to get round this by calling him "Brother Tuck".

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:01 pm

As above for information regarding friars, that said once you have friars (and certainly before then in the case of monks and senior clergy) it is wholy possible to have a black monk, bishop or Archbishop of Canturbury because there was one (I'll need to look up his name-I think he has been made a saint).
The church was an international orgainisation and you could be sent anywhere where your abbot, vicar general, bishop, cardinal or the Pope sent you.
If you read medieval history at all you discover that one of the prime causes of disputes between the King of England, the HRE, or any secular ruler and the Church was in just who was allowed to chose who for prime posts such as bishoprics and archbishopric placements.
The English church at the time of the "real" Robin Hood (late 12th/early 13th centuries) was full of French and Italian non-encumbent bishops and abbots much to the disgust of the English King and people in general.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Matt_D

Postby Matt_D » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:20 pm

CFarrell wrote:Given the quantity it must be, I can't see the BBC splurging on that many chain shirts and coifs. Honestly, whenever I see them wave the swords about I half expect to see them bend cause their made of rubber, but that has yet to happen so perhaps they use metal swords after all. :wink:

EDIT: Perhaps someone more in the know could tell me, exactly how inaccurate are they being in portraying a black man as Friar Tuck?

One of the swords did bend as one of the "actors" waved it around.

archerofthelevy

Postby archerofthelevy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:25 pm

It was great to see "Tuck", jump into the water to save Robin,wearing his waders under his clothing!
Well, we wouldnt want him to catch a cold now would we!

I run The Levy, an archery and living history based group in and around Hereford and the Welsh borders. C15th... And for my sins I'm now editor of The Re-Enactor. http://thereenactor.webs.com

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:36 pm

Simon Atford wrote:HTV's Robin of Sherwood tried to get round this by calling him "Brother Tuck".

To be fair, this version is refering to him as 'Brother' as well. That, and the mail upgrade, appear to be the only steps towards anything remotely authentic taking place.

Brendan C

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:36 pm

robin wood wrote:Ridley Scott starts filming his Robin Hood film next week.

About damn time!!

Brendan C

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:30 pm

If it's so crap why are you all still watching it?

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:If it's so crap why are you all still watching it?

That's a good question.

All I can say is I watch to see if it can get any worse, and apart from the 2 points mentioned earlier, it has never failed to do just that.

Brendan C

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:00 pm

B***cks, secretly you love it. I bet you say you don't like dancing to Agado as well. :D

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:B***cks, secretly you love it. I bet you say you don't like dancing to Agado as well. :D

Nah, guess I'm just a masochist at heart - still prefer HTV's 'Robin of Sherwood' and 'Robin and Marian' with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn.

Agadoo would look seriously out place in my music collection ;-)

Brendan C

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:17 pm

I know it wasn't a patch on "Superman" Spray, spray...

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:18 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:I know it wasn't a patch on "Superman" Spray, spray...

OK...............lost now

Brendan C

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Yeah right, an you'll be telling me you no know the Birdiesong next.

I got your number omae, protest all you like.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

CFarrell

Postby CFarrell » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Just watched episode 2 on IPlayer. Enjoyed it, nice plot etc. Just a few things I noticed this time, maybe cause I was on the look out for them, were lots of hair dye, lots of plucked and shaped eyebrows on the ladies, and the fact that they seem to think its a good idea to kick peoples heads when they are wearing helmet and coif.

And I do wish some of the guards would at least try and look as though they know how to put chainmail on.

CFarrell

Postby CFarrell » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:04 am

In the middle of watching episode 3, and is it just me or is there a distinct lack of racism towards Tuck? I'm assuming here, but I would think that in this time period there would have been quite significant racism towards Black people, particularly given the crusades.

Lady Cecily

Postby Lady Cecily » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:01 am

CFarrell wrote:Just watched episode........... lots of plucked and shaped eyebrows on the ladies.

Nothing wrong with that - tweezers exisist in both the 12th and 14th century.

Caroline

aidanwallis

Postby aidanwallis » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:27 am

i forgot to watch it.
shame :lol:

15c silkwomens household

Flesh&Blood

Postby Flesh&Blood » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:45 am

aidanwallis wrote:i forgot to watch it.
shame :lol:

oh hell, I missed it too, I feel so bad because I havn't managed to see a single episode yet :lol:

Malvoisin

Postby Malvoisin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:29 pm

Kevin Eldon getting stabbed was the campest thing I've seen since Kenneth Williams in Carry on Cleo.
Great stuff. :D

Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

gallois

Postby gallois » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:57 pm

Just found this thread and I cant believe you lot are debating the inaccuracies of dress and armour in this latest Robin Hood series. This isnt Auntie Beebs historical drama department...its more like Doctor Who. ITS PURE ENTERTAINMENT guys!
I have been an archer since Lorne Green ( how many of you can remember him?) Ive even seen Robin played by Errol Flynn and Douglas Fairbanks Snr. This new series is designed to sex him up a bit. There is so much rubbish portrayed that you have to suspend disbelief or its not watchable. The reason that the Norman soldiers are wearing mail coifs that cover their lower faces is because that way they can be killed in one episode and reappear in the next and nobody knows! Saves a fortune in extras fees!!
I dont agree with Robins bow or quiver regardless of how long he spent at the crusades the benefits of the English longbow in speed, accuracy and ease of manufacture far outway the recurve Eastern bows.
I have, in demonstrations for the public fired two arrows simultaneously but it does not require the fletchings to be bitten off! but the bow has to be held horizontally making aim a lottery. I usually hit the butt with one arrow, rarely with both.
When talking about Brother Tuck dont forget that in the last series Robin had a middle eastern girl in the band....she was cute...Id definately go outlaw for her!!
Id be interested to know at what point a myth becomes so ingrained in our culture that it is frowned upon to change, add or remove some of the details. Isnt there something about that at the end of the Bible??????????

"A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.
The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
And a foreign king for a mark!"

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”