Balefire by Nigel Tranter

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Balefire by Nigel Tranter

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

First published 1953, republished 2003 by B&W Publishing Ltd. ISBN 1 873631 05 7. Set during the immediate aftermath of the Battle of Flodden in 1513 in the debatable lands of the Scotish/English border. Think Sir Walter Scott meets Mills and Boon and you have an idea of the flowery writing (and plot as well). i was beginning to get a bit interested in the Tudor period but this and the last work of fiction I read has gone and put me off again.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

The Meenister

Post by The Meenister »

I've only read a couple Trantors when I was a teenager and could never realy get into the since.
I was introduce to this one bloke said he was realy into Scottish history and how many Nigal Trantors had I read, of coarse he was delighted as he had read more than me.
But could I persuade him that these weren,t history but romantic fiction.
Musteteer and minister with Frasers Dragoones SK, lowlander with Lace Wars, mercenary with Thirty Years War artillery unit Hortus Bellicus. Been in re-enactment since 1986 which allows me to indulge my fetish for uniforms and facial hair.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

I find that a number of WOTR era reenactors regard the Sunne in Splendour by that Sharon p woman as being Gospel truth as well. :?
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!