Firefly on DVD

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Jim

Firefly on DVD

Post by Jim »

OK I know it isn't historical but most of us have at least a passing interest in good quality Sci-Fi, right?

After watching the most excellent movie "Serenity", I decided to purchase the whole 14-episode series of "Firefly", the TV series upon which "Serenity" is based.

For ten quid (from Amazon) you get four DVDs packed with over ten hours of some of the best Sci-Fi you could ever wish for. We're part-way through watching it and it is compulsive viewing. It's written by Buffy/Angel writer Joss Wheedon, but don't let that put you off - he has accomplished something here that blows all his other work away. Witty dialogue, left-field production, excellent special effects, it has all of this together with an intriguing plot. It mixes gritty, dystopic futurism with backwater western-esque environments and dark humour.

In all seriousness, buy it. :D
www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Vermin

Post by Vermin »

It is awesome :D :D :D

Josh Weddon described it as Han Solo if he hadn't met Luke Skywalker

And Jayne rocks :twisted:

m0rt

Post by m0rt »

I love this series. Jim's comments are just the beginning of the droves f good things you can say about it. I personally love the re-watchability of it. Watch it again 3 months down the line, and you'll dscover another little nugget of layer of subtext you never noticed before. Joss Whedon is one smart, smart guy!

Also, I highly recommend Buff/Angel, but for some it might not be worth it unless you can put in the time to get drawn in.

I want a cunning hat.

And my own River Tam.

Am I odd?
Why I do maths: http://xkcd.com/435/

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Not as good as Battlestar Galatica-new series starts next week.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Jim

Post by Jim »

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Not as good as Battlestar Galatica-new series starts next week.
Interestingly, on Amazon, Firefly is the highest rated TV Series on DVD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?rs= ... reviewrank

That's quite something for a cult Sci-Fi series that only ran to 11 episodes on Fox and then got canned!

Derek Newman

Post by Derek Newman »

Jim wrote:That's quite something for a cult Sci-Fi series that only ran to 11 episodes on Fox and then got canned!
Fair point, and who ever heard of a canned series being made into a full blown movie?

Josh Weddon still expects firefly to return as a series with a different distrubutor at some point.
His philosophy was a mixture of pessimism, fatalism and epicureanism.
“It’s all going to go horribly wrong, there’s nothing we can do about it, so lets all have a drink.”

The Medieval Combat Society : http://www.themcs.org/

Jim

Post by Jim »

Derek Newman wrote:Josh Weddon still expects firefly to return as a series with a different distrubutor at some point.
Which would be nice. Fox are morons, look what they did to Futurama. I like the subtle digs at Fox contained in the Simpson movie. :O)

Ayliffe's Steve

Post by Ayliffe's Steve »

And my own River Tam.
Well you have Philippa! What else do you want?

Also,

Firefly ROCKS!!! It is one of the best serieses ever made.
All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

Philippa de Vere

Post by Philippa de Vere »

I love both Firefly and Battlestar Galactica. I have just come back from an excellent Firefly convention that kind of got taken over by Battlestar Galactica guests. This weekend had the pleasure of meeting (from Firefly) Adam Baldwin (Jayne), Ron Glass (Sheppard Book), Mark Sheppard (Badger), Richard Brookes (Jubal Early) (from Battlestar) Jamie Bamber (Lee Adama), Kandyse McClure (Dualla), Nicky Cline (Callie), Michelle Forbes (Admiral Kane) and Leah Cains (Racetrack). Best of all, Mark bought his Dad along to the event - W Morgan Sheppard. Got to hear Jamie talk about working on Hornblower (his first ever TV/film acting job). For any fans of Adam I would suggest checking out Chuck on Virgin 1 Monday nights, its very funny.
To being an us - for once - instead of a them
La Vie Boheme

www.paladins.co.uk