How to go about Dyeing wool

For stories, poems, pictures

Moderator: Moderators

webby74

How to go about Dyeing wool

Post by webby74 »

I want to start Dyeing my own wool but I do not know where to start and what I need. I do 12th Century so can only use things that you would of got then.

Help please

Webby74

sally
Post Knight

Re: How to go about Dyeing wool

Post by sally »

The classic early dyes are Woad, Weld and Madder. Thats not to say there arent any others but those are good ones to get a solid understanding of. Mordants are a much debated subject as availability does vary at different points in history, but alum is a good one for beginners to use with the weld and madder, and you may want to add bran to your shopping list or some chalk depending on your water type. Woad doesnt need a mordant but is used by a different fermentation process, you can do it traditionally using urine, or cheat and use a modern chemical to mimic the process and give a useable colour.

What do you want to dye and what equipment do you have, that might be the best starting point.

If you are in need of a short overview to spinning, weaving and dyeing in general I do an introductory booklet on the subject which you may find useful.

m. demetrius

Post by m. demetrius »

I'm interested in your booklet, Sally. Might I be able to get one way over here in Texas?
Saepe veritas est dura.
David Wills
* Leg XF
* Cornuti Seniores
* Cohort V

Wynflaed

Post by Wynflaed »

Wychwood has a brief introduction to dyeing here:
http://wychwood.wikidot.com/kit-dyeing
(It is dark age-oriented, but mainly transferable).

Sally, I'd also be interested your booklet :D

Edited to add: Aha, I found it on your website.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

m. demetrius wrote:I'm interested in your booklet, Sally. Might I be able to get one way over here in Texas?

Sure, I post anywhere, hop over to the shop at www.sallypointer.com/shop and it should be in the books section at £2

webby74

Post by webby74 »

Thank you all for your help, will look at info that you all gave me, will be back if need more. :thumbup: