Viking Scabbard

For stories, poems, pictures

Moderator: Moderators

Thrud

Viking Scabbard

Post by Thrud »

Not the first scabbard I have done, but the first viking period scabbard I have done.

Based on ones from excavations in Dublin* Wood core, metal strap slider under the leather, some very simple cordwork. Fleece lined.

Many thanks to Medicus Mat for advice and putting me in the right direction of references.

*Scabbards and Sheaths from Viking and Medieval Dublin... Esther Cameron
Attachments
DSC02804web.jpg
DSC02805web.jpg
By the sacred toenail clippings of J.R.R Tolkein... You'll pay for that hellspawn!

I am a snob and I am proud of it but I also like a good poo joke every now and then too.

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

thats very nice. puts mine to shame! mind you i did make it in one night so i could use it at an event the next day :oops:

Thrud

Post by Thrud »

A one night scabbard is not bad going. This took me bloody hours!
By the sacred toenail clippings of J.R.R Tolkein... You'll pay for that hellspawn!

I am a snob and I am proud of it but I also like a good poo joke every now and then too.

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

Thrud wrote:A one night scabbard is not bad going. This took me bloody hours!

it looks like a one night scabbord :(

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

8)

Sliders a 'bit' on the chunky side mate. Other than that good job...

Now for heaven's sake dye it...it looks like it's made from dead baby skin. :wink:
"I never said that I was here to help."

Thrud

Post by Thrud »

I did think that about the slider after I had finished it but the next one will be thinner!

What colour to stain it?

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

Either saddle (/english tan or a nice oakey brown...or even a watered down oxblood if you like. You could even go for green but I wouldn't recommend it. :wink:

Saddle tan is a light brown, english tan is more orangey. Those and the oakey brown are closer to period tan colours (based on some of the horrible experiments I've done).
Modern veg tan is bleached to standardise the colour of the hides, that's why it looks so creepy.

I'll send you details of dyes.
"I never said that I was here to help."

Thrud

Post by Thrud »

Cool. Tempted to re-do the slider now, but it's a waste of leather and I got all that to make shoes with and claw some money back!

I need to place another leatehr order soon so I will get some of the appropriate stain.