Post office alternatives

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

Post office alternatives

Post by sally »

There aren't really any sensible alternatives to the Royal Mail are there for small items? Feeling very put out at the moment having just heard that 10 sets of handmade bone dice we sent out to someone a few weeks back never arrived, and whilst of course we'll replace them for him, its several hours of workshop time we'll have to find out of nowhere. The order was only worth £16 so we didnt think to offer a recorded option, and it just annoys me that they had to go and lose something handmade rather than junkmail, which gets delivered unfailingly.
Poo!
Plus these wretched new postal size/weight calculations are already doing my head in, I have no idea how to sensibly rebalance the postal options on my webshop so that neither I nor the customer gets a really raw deal when they kick in.
Bah, humbug :cry:

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Dont worry, once they've privatised all of it, the only difference will be that there will be an extra excuse for not delivering stuff- namely you put the wrong companies stamps on it or put it in the wrong post box. And the postage price will be even higher than it is already.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

"its several hours of workshop time we'll have to find out of nowhere. The order was only worth £16 "

too cheap Sally, too cheap. several hours work should not equate to £16.

I know stuff shouldn't automatically be expensive just because it is hand made, but several hours has to be paid for. 10 dice for 16 quid is an absolute bargain.

My personal rule re recorded delivery is if the item is a over a certain value and a pain to replace I inform people of the postage format, I make this mandatory with the playing cards for that reason, not so much their cost as their cost in time to replace - works for me and the buyer.

Anyway can;t you claim against Royal mail even for unrecorded items?
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

gregory23b wrote:
I know stuff shouldn't automatically be expensive just because it is hand made, but several hours has to be paid for. 10 dice for 16 quid is an absolute bargain.

Anyway can;t you claim against Royal mail even for unrecorded items?
um, 20 dice actually, we do 2 tiny dice (5mm cubes) for £1.50, seems about right for what people will pay. But you are right, I have a horrid feeling I'm going to need to put a few prices up soon.

If I can find the post receipt we'll have a go at claiming, but I don't hold out much hope :(

Annie the Pedlar

Post by Annie the Pedlar »

but I don't hold out much hope
I despair. I claimed back for a lost parcel and inspite of "please make the cheque out to Anne Chernett" being plastered all over the place they wrote it out to Annie the Pedlar. Doh! She's pretend. Like the fact that she lived 500 years ago doesn't give you a clue......

And to add insult to injury they don't reemburse you for the postage - which can be a lot.

And..... I used to be able to send off aiglets cheap second class 25p, now although the size is still small the envelope doesn't quite fit through the skinny slit. It does go through the fat slit so this makes it a BIG letter, even though its small ....whaaaaaaaaa

And...... I want to know what the postage will be on parcels before I selotape them up so I asked the lady in the Post Office if I could buy a metal slotty guidey thing like what she had - and she said "No" :cry: :cry: :cry:

Group hug, Sally, group hug.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

Annie the Pedlar wrote:
Group hug, Sally, group hug.
Yep, hugs all round, its turning into one of those weeks for lots of small reasons :(

Pete the Pong

Post by Pete the Pong »

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

I never send anything unrecorded for work.

Small or low cost items I send via recorded. Big or expensive items (actually anything over £34, obv) I send special.

Sometimes I use a courier or parcel service, but have yet to find one that's really as reliable as the post office recorded services.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Try this: Take a big piece of cardboard along to the PO. When the person behind the counter is busy slip it behind the metal slitty thingy and draw all the corners of the slits and max size quickly, whistling and looking up at the ceiling at the same time. Go home and redraw with a rule. Then you have your own template.

Annie the Pedlar

Post by Annie the Pedlar »

The post office gave me one of those for free but as it was made of card. It bends and the slots distort so it's completely useless. I asked nicely if I could have a metal one like theirs and they said NO!

Lord High Everything Esle
Post Centurion

Post by Lord High Everything Esle »

They use DHL to deliver but I have stopped using them because they broke so many of my boxes. :cry:

I'm sure they are OK for soft thing though :?:
Will/Dave, the Jolly Box Man and Barber Surgeon

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

Eric the well read

Post by Eric the well read »

Annie the Pedlar wrote: It bends and the slots distort so it's completely useless.
So get a new cardboard one every time you go into the post office
When you've got 20 or so laminate them all together..... :twisted:
Voila! ( or viola, can never remember which surprises more)!....
Regards
Eric

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

frances wrote:Try this: Take a big piece of cardboard along to the PO. When the person behind the counter is busy slip it behind the metal slitty thingy and draw all the corners of the slits and max size quickly, whistling and looking up at the ceiling at the same time. Go home and redraw with a rule. Then you have your own template.
Just got my measuring card out. Just think of all the things you can push through the large slot less than 750 gm weight & <25mm (1") thickness ! How about a small ski :twisted:
Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

if it's any help the max thickness for a small letter is 5mmand for a large one 25mm

so no nice handmade cards with bumpy bits on them if youy want to pay little letter rate :roll:
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Steve Stocker

Post by Steve Stocker »

I found the only sensible - for me - option with the new Royal Mail rates was to price all deliveries as packets on my web store. Most orders fall into this size band anyway.

RM are still the cheapest, most convenient delivery system for us. We lose about 1% maximum of our parcels, and usually only the small stuff.

It's just the queues in the Post Office that get me down.....
Usted no tiene prioridad